Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which graphics card do is right for me ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which graphics card do is right for me ?

I don't play games.
    I like to watch HD movies on my Samsung 216BW screen.
    I don't like loud fans.

I currently have a nvidia 8400gt. It's really loud , seems to be sluggish and not great performance.
    My computer is a m8120n HP with upgraded 4g ram and win7 64bit.
    Motherboard: P5BW-LA (Basswood3G)
    300W power supply

Thanks for your time

If you don't play games and don't like fans, then graphics integrated on the motherboard is the way to go. I assume however you don't want to replace the motherboard. Also a 300W PSU isn't enough for a high end video card.

You might want to look at the GeForce GT430. There are fanless 0dB models on the market.

Comment

Can SAPPHIRE 100322L be used with (300W) P5BW-LA (Basswood3G) ?
      (Does it have enough power ?)

Comment

The Radeon HD 5450 is what you need. Very quiet, and has extremely low power consumption, so no need to get a new power supply.
        Not to mention, it allows 3-monitor support with Eyefinity.

Comment

The SAPPHIRE 100322L is a Radeon HD 6450 based card.

AMD are saying, "400 Watt or greater power supply recommended" for the 6450. But they say the same thing about the 5450 as well.

If you want to check properly, then you you need to look at the power supply and see what wattage it can do at each voltage level, then add up the requirements of all components in the system at each voltage level. This isn't always easy as the specs can be hard to track down and cheaper PSU manufacturers tend to exaggerated their wattages. Easier is to get a new PSU.

On the other hand you existing 8400gt can draw up to 80watts, which is a lot more than than a 5450 (~20watts).

Comment

Originally posted by godfather View Post
            The Radeon HD 5450 is what you need. Very quiet, and has extremely low power consumption, so no need to get a new power supply.
            Not to mention, it allows 3-monitor support with Eyefinity.
            The HD5450 is on the edge of being too slow to use all the hardware filtering offered by higher end cards, link. An HD5670/HD6570 or GT220 or higher would be a better choice. All should be available with passive cooling though they are not as common and cost somewhat more than fan cooled ones.

I have a HD5670 in my HTPC and love it. You need decent case cooling with any passive card. The HD 6570 has some added features over the older HD5xxx series cards. 3D support being one of them. Link to a passively cooled HD 6570

Bill
            Last edited by wonderwrench; Feb-02-2012, 08:59 PM.
            Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Working...
            X