Need expert advice on hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need expert advice on hardware

I am trying to put a system together and picked up some partial ones. Now I am not quite sure what I should stick with and would like to elicit some opinions.

Basically I am trying to decide what to keep between:

Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    AMD Phenom II X4 975
    2x4GB DDR3 RAM

and

Asus P6T WS Pro Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58
    i7 Extreme Edition 965 Nehalem 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core, BX80601965
    G.Skill P1 Black 12GB (6x2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), model F3012800CL8T-6GBPI-B

The former is the newer board and CPU, but the Intel CPU is faster. Anybody have an opinion what I should keep and why?

Thanks!

The i7-965 is around eight years old now. But they are close together in terms of CPU performance.
    I'd probably take the new AMD machine, just because it won't have as much age on it (capacitors won't have degraded as much, fan bearings won't have as much wear). The Intel machine doesn't even have USB3.0 ports or SATA3 either.

Comment

Thank you - good thoughts. I was just wondering about the CPU comparison. Per this website, the Phenom gets 4554, but the i7 gets 5911 (actually mine got 5917), which seems to be quite a difference.

Comment

Yes, Intel CPU might be slightly better. But I still wouldn't pick that machine for the reasons stated above.

Comment

Working...
        X