Should I exchange my new computer for a different one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I exchange my new computer for a different one

Hi, I bought an HP desk top computer last week. It has the A6 3620 2.2 chip in it, and 6 mb ram. I bought this computer to replace my 5 year old HP computer with a single core chip. But I don't see any difference between my old one and new one, in terms of speed.
    The reason I bought the new computer is to, one, upgrade, and, two, allow myself to use two monitors. My old computer usually took a couple of moments to open web pages. I figured the new one would open pages without any waiting time. It seems to be about the same performance as the old one. I am using two monitors now, however. Is that why? Does my Internet connection play a factor? It is Century link with a speed of 12 mbs. My use of the computer is for the stock market primarily. I am considering whether I should return it to the store, and exchange it for a desk top with an i5 Intel chip. Would the difference between the two chips (A6 and i5) be noticeable (regarding performance)? Tomorrow is the deadline (14 days) to return or exchange. Please help with your opinion, thank you very much.
    (I am willing to pay more for the i5 if it will make a difference)

There is no doubt at all that for example an Intel Core i5-3570K is way faster than a A6 3620. But it would also cost more.

While the
    A6-3620 isn't a fast CPU it should be adequate for browsing.

I think you'll find the delay in opening web pages is more due to your hard disk speed & internet connection. Switching from a traditional hard drive to a SSD would probably have more impact than a better CPU.

If you are not already using Google's Chrome as a browser, then try it out. It is noticeably faster than IE.

The speed of opening a web page is unrelated to the dual monitor setup.

Comment

Thanks, I looked up the i5 3570K, and it seems to be a higher-end i5. The bench mark for the A6 3620 is 3493. I could exchange my A6 for another HP computer that costs $50 more. This one has a 2nd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 processor [3.0GHz, 6MB Shared Cache] in it. The bench mark is 6016. Would this be a significantly faster processor for only $50 more?
      Last edited by pat mich; Jun-09-2012, 04:53 AM.

Comment

this message was deleted...
        Last edited by pat mich; Jun-09-2012, 04:54 AM.

Comment

The CPU i5-2320 itself would be faster, but these CPUs also contain the video chip set. CPU and video in one chip package.

So while the i5-2320 might be a faster CPU, the video part of the chip isn't so good. Certainly no good for games. The A6 3620 has better video.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
            The CPU i5-2320 itself would be faster, but these CPUs also contain the video chip set. CPU and video in one chip package.

So while the i5-2320 might be a faster CPU, the video part of the chip isn't so good. Certainly no good for games. The A6 3620 has better video.
            Thanks for your reply. I returned the new computer with the A6 processor. My five year old computer with the single-core chip runs just as quick. I don't know why the A6 took time to load pages, but I washed my hands of buying a new computer. I will keep my old computer until such time I feel the need to buy another one. The only downside is I can only use one monitor with this computer, but so be it.

Comment

Working...
            X