Seeking advices for budget gaming rig building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking advices for budget gaming rig building

Thank your for your attention. I am looking for a decent gaming pc with a very limited budget of $500~$800. I attempted to understand some basics about customising pc and had a few questions.

I have always been an intel cpu user and quite satisfied by their performance for years. Although the AMD chips seem to be more cost-effective in its reputation, I feel being more into stability. So I want to know if it is worthy spending a great part of the budget buying a i5 (or mb i7) processor. For the disk I am wondering if I can have a tiny SSD (for OS) with an extra HDD (for storage) or just a HDD would be more suitable since the limit of $ (P.S. and how about stripped 2 HDDs? Will that be a big difference? ). And also, as a loyal user of NV graphic cards, I feel like attach with them instead of Ati cards.

These are all my difficulties so far. Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much again.

If you want to keep it closer to the $500 mark then have a look at a Pentium G860, GeForce GTX 560 & 4GB of RAM. I don't think you are also going to get 2 reasonable hard drives without going above $500. Don't go under 80GB for the SSD, the 60GB drives are just too small IMHO.

If you wanted to spend a bit more then maybe look at the Intel Core i5-3570.

You can also built a cheap system around the AMD FX-8150.

Comment

Thank you very much Davie. From your kind advice I suppose Intel would still be the choice for me. Could you please also tell a bit about the comparison between having 2 stripped HHD or 1SSD+1HHD? Which one if supposed to be faster and what are their advantages and disadvantages compare to one another? Thanks a lot.

Comment

Can say which one would be the fast drive setup without referring to particular models of hard drives.

I would pick the SSD + HDD rather than use RAID.

The SSD has a random seek time about 100x higher than a traditional HDD (regardless of stripping).

Striping also doubles the risk of data loss if a drive fails, you can't monitor the SMART data from the drives and you'll also have device driver issues for low level tasks (like the initial install of Windows).

Comment

Working...
        X