In the market for a new computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the market for a new computer

So I am looking into a new computer. I mainly do gaming; with some browsing, watching videos, and listening to music(usually one at a time). I had wanted to upgrade my RAM but as it turns out my motherboard is maxed out. I feel that it would be a lot easier for me to buy a new computer instead of trying to upgrade my motherboard as well. My budget is around $700-$800. I have found this setup
    HP Pavilion p7-1241

Processor 2nd Gen AMD Quad-Core A10-5700 Accelerated Processor
    Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Memory (RAM) 10GB PC3-10600 DDR3
    Hard Drive 2TB (7200RPM) SATA
    Wireless Integrated Bluetooth® and Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n featuring Single-band (2.4GHz) 2x2 MIMO technology
    Optical Drive SuperMulti DVD Burner
    Video Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7660D Discrete Graphics. Up to 4059MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows® 7
    My main concern is for gaming, as such, would this be a good rig? Do you have any other suggestions? I have a GeForce 8400 GS 1GB DDR3 that i can put in if need be.

This isn't a very high end machine. Rather middle of the road.
    I would have thought you could do slightly better for $800, but hard to know as you didn't list what monitor is included (if any).

Comment

No monitor, planned on using my current one. This particular machine was only $500, I was mainly looking at RAM and hard drive on it as I don't know much about processors. I mainly play WoW and a few other MMOs, nothing super high end. My current machine is about 5 years old so it's getting a bit slow. I guess my biggest question would have to be what should I look for as far as processors and graphics cards performance-wise?

Comment

Here are the recommended Specs for WoW, FYI. Obviously the RAM is more than enough but as I said I don't know much about processors and video cards.

Recommended System Specifications

PC
        Operating System
        Windows 7 64-bit with latest service pack

Processor
        Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz,
        AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.6GHz or better

Video
        NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT,
        ATI Radeon HD 4830 (512 MB) or better

Memory
        4 GB RAM
        Last edited by lillarryj86; Oct-15-2012, 03:39 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

WoW is an old game now. Pretty much any machine will meet the min specifications.

I would spend a bit more than $500 and get a SSD (solid state drive) as your boot drive.

10GB is plenty for the use you have described. You might find going to 16GB is only $30 more however.

The A10 is a reasonable value for money CPU. There are lots of others that offer better performance however (often at more cost however). Some of the current common ones are,
          Intel Core i7-3770
          Intel Core i7-3820
          Intel Core i7-2600
          Intel Core i5-3570K
          Intel Core i5-2500K

Same for video cards, there are lots of others that offer better performance.

Comment

Ok. I will check those things out. Thanks a bunch for the info!

Comment

Working...
            X