Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does USB 3.0 loopback support the verification of USB 3.1 Gen2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does USB 3.0 loopback support the verification of USB 3.1 Gen2?

Dear Experts,
    I have a new project for Intel Coffee Lake platform. It supports USB 3.1 Gen2.
    And it has A type USB 3.1 Gen2 connectors onboard.
    I tried USB 3.0 loopback rev.01 with firmware v2.5. it showed "USB 3.0 enumerated" not 10Gb/s.
    Just want to clarify if USB 3.0 loopback supports it? if not, any other solution can support it?
    Waiting for your message. thanks!

Our USB 3.0 loopback plug supports the USB 3.0 standard.

It doesn't support the 3.1 standard.

The hardware in the device is only good for 3.0 speeds. So it will never work at 10Gb/s (i.e. a software upgrade is not possible).
    It will function correctly on a 3.1 port (and with a type-C connector), but only at 5Gb/sec speeds.

However as soon as better chips are available (that support the higher speeds) we'll be releasing a V3.1 device. We don't have a date for when this will happen at this time, as we are somewhat dependant on the 3rd party chip suppliers.

I should also mention that part of the new USB3.1 standard has very different requirements for power delivery (for example, there more voltage levels, much higher power level and smart cables). We have a USB power delivery device coming out very soon that will allow testing of the new standards. So for the power delivery part of the standard we have it covered.

Comment

Dear David,
      Ok~ got it and thanks! Hoping the new power delivery device can be available soon. ^^?

Comment

Dear David,
        Another question.
        I found a USB 3.1 C type cable in below URL:
        https://www.passmark.com/products/usb31-typec-cable.htm
        It can support 10G speed.
        May I know what does it use for? Thanks!

Comment

The cable can support 10G. But when used with our 3.0 loopback plug, the plug will still only work at 5G.

The cable is useful because the default cable that we supply with the 3.0 plug doesn't support the new Type-C connector. So if you need to test with a Type-C connector, that type-C cable is required (or some 3rd party cable needs to be sourced).

Comment

Working...
          X