the good old days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the good old days

when i was a kid my Dad took me to the store and told me pick which bike i wanted, fast-forward 2013, i gotta build my son a computer, what the what.
    after much research so i have ordered the big part. i ordered the Scorpius 9000 from Cyberpower, i made 2 changes i changed from HD7850 to HD 7870 2GB 16x PCIe 3.0 cause of better reviews, and my son insisted on windows7 instead of 8.
    i still shop for monitor speakers and he wants a cam.
    but as far as the part i have ordered, do you see any problems?
    all suggestions appreciated

The AMD FX-8120 is a good value for money CPU. The single threaded performance is rather weak however.
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

You really need software that can use 8 cores to really make this CPU shine. But not many software applications can keep 8 cores fully loaded.

So there are higher performing CPU options around. But you'll pay more all else remaining equal. So it depends on your budget.

Comment

well i wanted to stay under 1000$ for the whole thing, thats not gonna happen, cause just the stuff i ordered was a grand.
      still gotta get monitor , speakers and web-cam.

am i missing anything?
      by the way i really want to thank you David , w/o this site and the knowledge i gain it makes my life a lot simpler.
      trust me nobody wants the headache of a teenager with a slow computer. i now know the oppisite of Heaven.
      Last edited by motorcity57; Feb-09-2013, 04:39 AM.

Comment

The AMD FX-8120 is totally adequate for most tasks (Browsing, EMail, Music, video playback, Word processing). Overkill even.

It is the new 3D games that will be the issue. They'll all still be totally playable. But you might find you need to turn off a few of the special effects or select a lower resolution for some games. For some people this is a non issue. For a hard core gamer however, it might be unacceptable.

Also I would never buy a computer without a SSD as the boot drive now.

Also remember that nothing depreciates in value faster than a high end computer. Be near worthless in 5 years.

Finally, and I am sure you probably already know this, but you can buy parts and build a cheaper better machine yourself.

Here are some good starting points, if you wanted to do this,
        http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overclocking-do-it-yourself,3366.html
        http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_gaming_configs_1

Comment

gonna check out the links you gave. the mid tower i ordered has 2 external removable HDD bays, so will i be able to add ssd at a later time?
          yes i understand completely that what i buy now will be obsolete the next day, lol.
          the computer tested at FPS 120 @ 1920 x 1200, at least thats what it says.
          ok nice chat, off to check out those links you gave, have a great day
          now if i can find a monitor with speakers , web-cam , and at least 20 inches, under 200$ i think i should be all set?

AM I FORGETTING ANYTHING?????????????
          Last edited by motorcity57; Feb-10-2013, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X