Interpreting results from disk checkup programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interpreting results from disk checkup programs

I'm brand new to this disk checking stuff, and, as usual, I went into it in a big way, running more than one program. You guys seem to have the only forum associated with your product, so I have to ask here.
    I take it Diskcheckup requires selecting the drive and then clicking the "Get Info" button; it won't update at bootup, or any other time without intervention?
    Some other programs use this "T.E.C." (Threshold Exceeded Condition), and cook up some ersatz date of failure. Sounds spurious to me, but I'm new at this. What's up with that?
    Two other products, HDD Health and DriveHealth say that the Ultra ATA CRC Error Count is in trouble Value 113 Worst 1 Threshold 0, and the drive's gonna fail by the middle of next month. It's a relatively new Maxtor whose warranty runs out this November. Now these programs are incensed about this, (HDD Health just gave me a popup saying that this number changed from 113 to 130; Drive Health showed the update to 130;DiskCHeckup is still at 113 despite repeated clickings, selecting another drive and going back), but DiskCheckup is relatively laid back about it, not even acknowledging the change. And it still says OK, while the other guys have it dying in about two weeks.
    I'm confused, and need to know if preparing for last rites is indicated, or not.

Thanks in advance.

--jim

Our DiskCheckup software doesn't attempt to predict a failure date. At least not in the current version.

Trying to estimate a failure date from two samples is technically impossible, as no sensible extrapolation of the data to the failure point is possible. So think the date would be incorrect, but it isn't our software, nor our hardware, so we are not the best people to ask.

With DiskCheckp the details are only updated when you click on "Get Info".

----
    David

Comment

Thanks for your help. As I said, being new at this, it's hard to separate useful from useless information, and even to know what some things even mean.

--jim

Comment

Working...
      X