Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Periodic CPU heat testing possible?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if it is possible to set up a periodic max heat test.

Let's say I want to run the CPU at max heat for 20 mins, then idle for 20 mins, then back to max heat for 20 mins and on and on.... For a finite or infinite amount of time/cycles.
    I need to log the temperature at all time.

Can I achieve this with a BurnInTest script?

And when I run the CPU at 100, it is on max load, and at 1, it is pretty much on idle. Am I right?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Duty cycle of 100 means max load (for that single test).
    Duty cycle of 1 mean very low load, but it isn't the same as a idle machine (or a sleeping machine).

The temperatures won't be logged while a test isn't running so you won't be able to log idle temperatures from directly within BurnInTest.

There is an EXECUTEWAIT script command you could use to call an external script or application that will let the system idle and collect temperatures for 20 minutes before returning to BurnInTest to continue testing.

There is also a SLEEP script command to pause BurnInTest execution for a set amount of time but in this case again no temperature would be logged while BurnInTest was sleeping, you would need to be collecting temperatures from another script or application outside of BurnInTest.

Even running the CPU test at duty cycle 1 will still load the CPU more than an idle state, likely doubling the CPU utilisation normally in an idle state.

Comment

We do this in our testing, just run the basic network internal loopback test during the "idle" phase.
      Also select only the Max heat CPU test in the preferences.

See example script

LOG "START OF TESTING CYCLE"

LOOP 200 <-- set this to a high number for it to cycle longer
      {
      SETDURATION 20
      RUN CPU
      SETDURATION 20
      RUN NETWORK
      }

Comment

Working...
      X