Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 Worth It / Best Drive Replacement for My System

Hey All -

I'm in the market to replace 1-2 drives in my home "server." My system specs are at the end of this post. Two of my drives are currently used for OS and app installs while the rest is storage.

Currently, the OS drive is an Mushkin MKNSSDAT60GB-DX (60gb SSD) which when I bought it was the fastest and biggest mSata drive on the market. The app install drive is a Seagate Momentus XT ST500LX003 (500gb hybrid.) The hybrid drive is gaining bad sectors quickly so needs to be replaced. I'm considering replacing the OS one, too, as it's taking up a valuable Sata port (using mSata takes disables one of the Sata addresses), hardly any storage, and had a lot of use.

I must replace the 500gb hybrid, but am considering replacing both drives with a PCI-Express-based OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 as it seems to have the best performance available. However, I don't know if it would work in my system. Also, I can really only afford the refurb (link) and don't know if it's a wise choice.

I have a few other considerations, too. Below is what I'm thinking. Do you think any of these would be best or have any other idea?

If I Replace both drives, Which Do You Think Is Best Choice?
    1. A refurbished OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 to run OS and installed apps (not many which are hardcore on resources)
    2. Purchasing a pair of SSDs and running them in RAID (hardware or software RAID?) to run both OS and installed apps
    3. Purchasing pair of SSDs like above, but not in RAID and dedicating one to OS and one to installed apps

System Specs
    - Intel i7 3770k Quad Core
    - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH5
    - 16GB RAM
    - ATI/AMD HD 7850 2GB Video Card
    - x8 drives
    - 60gb msata SSD (OS)
    - 500gb hybrid drive (App Installs
    - x6 drives ~18TB combined space
    - Windows 7 x64

System Uses

- File share / hosting media files
    - Server for Plex, XBMC, few other python apps
    - Gaming every now and then

Any other suggestions for drive replacements are appreciated -

Thanks Guys
    Last edited by bzowk; Feb-02-2014, 07:18 PM.

I think RAID is more trouble than it is worth, when using fast SSDs (except for mirrored backups). Main because when it goes wrong, it goes really wrong.

If money is an issue I would take option 3). Basically the same as you have now. This will still be a fast system and will avoid needing to re-install the operating system and / or all the apps on the system. Should be an easy migration, assuming the new drive is at least as big as the 500GB hybrid.

These hybrid drives are pretty new. Have you considered letting it fail then replacing it under warranty. Keep good backups of course.

Comment

Thanks...

Yeah, I've considered it. It's actually a 2.5" I bought originally for laptop use. Currently, it is 92% healthy and has a total powered on time of 388 days with the majority of it being in my server that's on 24/7.

Any ideas what the threshold is before warranty kicks in? Thanks

Comment

The S.M.A.R.T. data in the drive should have a bad sector relocation count and a threshold.
        I would think that all the manufacturers would replace the drive if it crossed its own threshold.

Comment

Working...
        X