Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the CPU & GPU benchmarks charts reliable for a smart consumer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the CPU & GPU benchmarks charts reliable for a smart consumer?

Hello Pass-mark users, I'm confused on how the overall benchmarking works on both CPU/GPU.
    I'm currently trying to find the best processor for my GPU (RX 570) and I'm looking forward to buy the Ryzen 3 3100, for considerable reasons.
    And according to PassMark High-End chart, the 3100 has a mark of 11,760. Surpassing most of all 9th gen I5 processors. Are these benchmarks for overall processing performance? (Gaming, productivity, ETC) or are they for specific benchmarking?, would these benchmarks be accurate when buying a processor?. Now according to GPU benchmarks on PassMark High-end chart, it stats that the RTX 2080 TI has a higher mark than the RTX 3070?, Nvidia announced that the 3070 is better performance than the 2080 TI, so once again, are these benchmarks accurate? if so what do they mean exactly? Are the higher the score the better for consumers? regardless of what you're going to do with the processor / graphics card.

Are these benchmarks for overall processing performance?
    Yes.

They won't exactly match the results from any particular game or application however (as it doesn't make logical sense that one benchmark number can match all games and applications on the market. Each game is different from all other games to some degree).

would these benchmarks be accurate when buying a processor
    As a general performance indication, yes.
    But if for example, your main use for the PC is to play World of Warcraft, then you should be using that as your benchmark.

it stats that the RTX 2080 TI has a higher mark than the RTX 3070?
    At the moment we have them as equal.

Nvidia announced that the 3070 is better performance than the 2080 TI
    Very likely it is in some games. But overall no.

See for example
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/...-beat-for-now/
    "[The 3070 is] strong, but not the 2080 Ti topper we expected"

Comment

Nope. 2080ti != 3070 . 3070 has much more CUDA core clusters and tenzor cores for AI software. You cannot see the difference, when you use CorelDraw, Protoshop, employee monitoring software or skype. But when you open software with AI-Accelerated Rendering or DLSS, you can see the difference. Also, do not forget about difference in price

Comment

AI-Accelerated Rendering or DLSS
        Which is something that at the moment 99%+ of all games and 3D applications aren't using.

Comment

How big of a variation can you expect from the reported numbers?

Comment

Which numbers are you referring to & under what circumstances?

Comment

Originally posted by SMACarthur View Post
              Nope. 2080ti != 3070 . 3070 has much more CUDA core clusters and tenzor cores for AI software. You cannot see the difference, when you use CorelDraw, Protoshop, employee monitoring software or skype. But when you open software with AI-Accelerated Rendering or DLSS, you can see the difference. Also, do not forget about difference in price
              Today i heared that ETH is losing it`s positions.
              So we are expecting a huge used GPU market in the next 2 weeks

Comment

I still tend to believe in the PR move from Nvidia, Ti versions have always surpassed the cards of the next generations, but this will only be revealed over time.

Comment

Working...
                X