ASRock x99 Extreme4 - Windows Server 2012 R2 - Network Driver [Solved]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock x99 Extreme4 - Windows Server 2012 R2 - Network Driver [Solved]

This wasn't well documented anywhere, so I'll document it here.

We were trying to install Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials on to a ASRock x99 Extreme4 motherboard.

The driver disc supplied by ASRock doesn't work on Windows Server. Further even running the Intel LAN driver package directly didn't work. The error was,
    Intel Network adapter not found

It seems Intel doesn't support Windows Server 2012 for many of its LAN chip sets.

The solution however turned out to be simple. When you update the device driver from device manager, select the option to manually search for a driver. Then browse the list of available drivers.
    Pick: Intel
    Then scroll down and pick: Intel i218v LM

It will complain that the driver isn't compatible, ignore this however and it works fine.

Also, unrelated: In case you were wondering. This motherboard works well with Xeon CPUs and DDR4 ECC RAM. So it can make a good server motherboard.

Thank you

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
    This wasn't well documented anywhere, so I'll document it here.

We were trying to install Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials on to a ASRock x99 Extreme4 motherboard.

The driver disc supplied by ASRock doesn't work on Windows Server. Further even running the Intel LAN driver package directly didn't work. The error was,
    Intel Network adapter not found

It seems Intel doesn't support Windows Server 2012 for many of its LAN chip sets.

The solution however turned out to be simple. When you update the device driver from device manager, select the option to manually search for a driver. Then browse the list of available drivers.
    Pick: Intel
    Then scroll down and pick: Intel i218v LM

It will complain that the driver isn't compatible, ignore this however and it works fine.

Also, unrelated: In case you were wondering. This motherboard works well with Xeon CPUs and DDR4 ECC RAM. So it can make a good server motherboard.
    This really helped me out! Thank you so much!

Was in the process of setting up the server unit with 2012 R2 and the disc would only let me install chrome and I couldn't install the network adapter drivers because of this very issue.

Comment

Working...
    X