DiskCheckup not displaying values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiskCheckup not displaying values

I recently upgraded to Windows 11. And I received an error saying that my 500GB M.2 SSD is at risk of failing. The Windows error states: "Warning: Reliability is degraded. Back up your data in case of drive failure. Estimated remaining life: 0%. Available Spare: 100%. Temperature: 31C"

I downloaded DiskCheckup to try and get more information about this. (This is my first time using this software, but it seems straight forward). Upon installation and opening the software, the drive in question is listed as "OK". Under the "SMART Info" tab, all categories under the status column read: "OK". The Value, Worst, and Threshold columns all read "0", across the entire category list. I thought this was odd and tried to run the "Disk Self-Test" utility, and I receive the error: "Unable to execute self-test. The selected self-test may not be supported". This error occurs on both the Short Test and Extended Test.

At this point I don't know what to make of the situation. I also have a 1TB M.2 SSD installed on this system. That drive does not show an error in windows. It also shows as "OK" in DiskCheckup. But it also shows all "0" across all categories. I have attached two images of the drive in question on DiskCheckup, and one image of the drive in Windows.

Any insight into this would be appreciated. Windows says it is failing, DiskCheckup isn't telling me much of anything. This computer is only a gaming computer and has only games on it. So it is not a huge loss if I need to buy a new SSD. But I am not 100% convinced that the drive is actually failing. Your input in the matter is most appreciated. Thank you

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-06 220032.png Views:	2 Size:	54.8 KB ID:	54415Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-06 220102.png Views:	2 Size:	54.4 KB ID:	54418Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-06 220743.png Views:	2 Size:	15.7 KB ID:	54419
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hades; Feb-07-2023, 03:15 AM.

Samsung 960 Evo 500GB has 200TBW Limited Warranty.

TBW stands for Terabytes Written, it is a measure of the write endurance of the drive.
    SSD's (with a few exceptions) die if you write too much data to them.

Although you get a count of data units written, it isn't clear what Samsung use a unit of measurement (maybe LBA?).
    There is also write amplification to take into account. So not a totally trivial calculation.

But a SSD can write at around 3GB/sec. So it only takes 6min to write a terabyte.
    So the warranty period can expiry after 20 hours of disk use in the worse case. I am thinking you have had this drive for a lot longer than this.

So warning is probably accurate, if slightly over dramatic. Lifetime used,100%
    Keep good backups or replace the drive.

Comment

Working...
    X