Windows Server 2003 SP1 update fails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2003 SP1 update fails

I have a machine that was completely wiped with low level format. It used to have Server 2003 SP0. Once in a while during multimedia play it will blue screen with 0x0000009C error. I thought may be I should start over and re-install the OS and this time install SP1. Well, OS install went smooth but everytime I try to install SP1 it will blue screen during the "backuping old file" section. The exact message is 0x0000009c (0x0000001, 0x8055B780, 0xB2000000, 0x00000115)
    I am planning to use Burnit to determine what hardware is causing this. I have already replaced memory, Video card, NIC etc with no success. At this point I am about to give up on SP1.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Needless to say this is not a problem with our software and if Windows crashes you should really be asking Microsoft (or the manufacturer of the PC) what the problem is.

Anyway, it seems 0x0000009c always relates to a hardware failure. See,
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284

Quote,
    =============
    A machine check exception occurs when Windows XP and your hardware platform cannot recover from a hardware error so that the system can continue to run successfully and reliably. More specific diagnosis of machine check exceptions is difficult, and there is no general solution. Contact your hardware manufacturer or a computer hardware technician for help with troubleshooting this issue.

Machine check exceptions are frequently caused by one of the following conditions:
    • You are running the processor or mainboard beyond its specifications. For example, you are overclocking the processor or bus. We recommend that you run your hardware at the manufacturer-rated speeds.
    • Noisy power, overstressed power strips, outmatched power supplies and failing power supplies can destabilize your computer. Make sure that you have a stable, reliable power supply to your computer.
    • Extreme thermal conditions caused by the failure of cooling devices such as fans may damage your computer. Make sure that your cooling devices are all working.
    • You have damaged memory or memory that is not the correct type for your computer. If you recently changed the memory configuration, revert to the previous configuration to determine what is wrong. Make sure that you are using the correct memory for your computer.
    Note Your hardware may support additional error logging features that capture the machine check exception and suggest a more specific solution.

The Pentium and Pentium Pro processors provide a mechanism to detect and to report hardware-related problems such as memory parity errors and cache errors. To signal a hardware error, the processor signals the detection of a machine check error by generating a machine check exception (Interrupt 18, Windows XP reports that the error occurred and displays parameters that you can use to decode the exception. Contact your hardware vendor or processor manufacturer for information about the Machine Check Architecture, or see the Intel Pentium Pro Family Developer's Manual - Volume 3: Operating System Writer's Manual.
    =============

Comment

Working...
    X