DiskCheckup gives high read, seek error rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiskCheckup gives high read, seek error rates

I'm getting high raw read and seek error rates for a disk I just received from Seagate in replacement for another failed disk. It's an 80GB SATA drive. Raw read error rate is up in the 9 digits, and climbs every time I rerun diskcheckup. Seek error rate is in 6 digits, also climbing. All other parameters look fine - no sector reallocations, etc.

Are these error rate numbers actually error counts, or are they something else? These are climbing so fast, with no apparent malfunction of the computer, that it seems like they may be counts of all reads and seeks, not just errors.

How can I interpret these big scary numbers?

Thanks,

Matt Ellis

You will have to talk to Seagate to know exactly what the Raw number mean.

But big numbers are not abnormal. Here is a sample from my hard drive.

Code:
     ID Description                          Raw Value  Status     Value      Worst      Threshold  TEC                 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      1 Raw Read Error Rate                  36502972   OK         105        89         6          N.A.                
      7 Seek Error Rate                      14893799   OK         72         60         30         N.A.
    The 'worst' and 'threshold' values are the ones to watch.

Comment

Working...
    X