extremely long runtimes and eventual crash -- memtest 7.0 free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extremely long runtimes and eventual crash -- memtest 7.0 free

I'm currently in the process of troubleshooting a problem on my computer. The problem is, it will randomly restart, particularly while doing something intense (gaming), but not necessarily. I swapped the PSU and the problem persisted, so I'm trying to check my CPU/RAM.

The problem I'm having is that the memtest 7.0 free for USB is taking an extremely long time to boot, and to run. This is particularly obvious when it counts down "seconds," each of which last in the ballpark of 10 minutes. This wouldn't be a problem, except that I can't stand around watching the test for the many hours it takes, and the couple of times I've tried it it eventually restarts. I'm not sure if this is because of a hangup in the program, or if it's the underlying hardware issue. When it restarts during a run, it always includes these lines before it does so:

- Attempting to retrieve the root directory of the data partition.
    - Found 2 handles that supported SimpleFileSystem
    - Checking handle 0 (D25FDF9
    - Handle is own partition
    - Checking handle 1 (D25FDC9
    - HD node found: MBR type(2), Signature type(2), Part #(2), Start LBA(10444, Num Sectors(202719)
    - Self node: MBR type(2), Signature type(2), Part #(1), Start LBA(204, Num Sectors(100353)

My system:
    CPU: i5-2500K CPU 3.3GHZ
    MOBO: gigabyte lga 1155 intel b75
    GPU: ASUS Strix GTX970
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB )
    Boot drive: OCZ 128GB Vertex 4

Example log: (attached)
    http://ctrlv.it/id/7164/2611251614

Thanks for providing the logs.

We have seen reports of certain USB drives (mostly older, slower drives) causing MemTest86 to slow down significantly due to the amount of time it takes to write to the log file. Can you see if using a faster, reliable USB drive makes any difference in the boot up time?

Also, we discovered a bug in MemTest86 v7.0 when measuring the clock speed. This may cause some of the timing issues that you are seeing. We have a pre-release build that should fix this problem, if you would like to give it a try:
    http://www.passmark.com/ftp/memtest86-usb-7.0.1005.zip

We are hoping to release an official patch sometime next week.

Comment

Working...
    X