Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shutdown on test #6 "block move"

Hi,
    I have just use MemTest86 on my pc, because of freezes that in the last week happen, to understand the problem...
    I believe that there is an hardware problem because, after a freeze, Windows started a scandisk and pc freezed also during this operation (when OS, drivers and other softwares are not already in execution..)

So, I launched MemTest86 but I noticed that it blocks, or better pc shutdown completely (no freeze), always during step #6 "block move".
    I would understand if this is due to incompatibility between my pc (hp dv6276ea, yes is not real young, but optimum for me) or if this is a sure and clear sign that at least one RAM block is corrupted (in that case I'll buy RAM). Can you help me to understand?

If RAM is corrupted, shouldn't MemTest86 ends all tests and gives a report with error/errors written?

Thanks for your help, if there are other tests to be done to understand problem that afflicts my pc I'm ready.

How many RAM sticks are in the machine?
    Can you try testing 1 stick at a time?

Bad RAM can cause lockups, for example it can cause corruption of the program's executable code, or blocks of RAM used by the system's hardware.

But there are also other issues that can cause a PC to freeze or suddenly shutdown. (e.g. bad CPU, or bad PSU). It is a process of elimination to find out the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      How many RAM sticks are in the machine?
      Can you try testing 1 stick at a time?

Bad RAM can cause lockups, for example it can cause corruption of the program's executable code, or blocks of RAM used by the system's hardware.

But there are also other issues that can cause a PC to freeze or suddenly shutdown. (e.g. bad CPU, or bad PSU). It is a process of elimination to find out the cause.
      I have 2 RAM sticks.
      I removed one stick and pc didn't start at all, I moved the stick left in pc on other position and however pc didn't start.
      So I removed this stick and putted other stick, now pc starts...
      I used MemTest86 and this time (with only one stick mounted) pc shutdown on test #8

However I used pc imagine that with half RAM will be slower, indeed, but hoping that will not crash anymore... nope
      I believe that when it's stressed it freezes. Now I'm waiting for new RAM, hoping that problems lie in old sticks.

We will see

Comment

Some BIOS's require RAM to be populated in a certain order (e.g. only Slot 1, if you only have 1 stick). So check the motherboard manual. That might explain the failure to boot with 1 stick.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
          Some BIOS's require RAM to be populated in a certain order (e.g. only Slot 1, if you only have 1 stick). So check the motherboard manual. That might explain the failure to boot with 1 stick.
          ...I have already tryed, directly, to move problematic RAM stick from one slot to the other (there are only to slot), so this shouldn't be another problem...
          I just can't figure out why pc freeze also with one, theoretically working, RAM stick...
          However I ordered 2 new sticks hoping that fix everything.

Comment

Ok, well not really, I mean new RAM arrived and immediately discover that pc continues freezing...
            So RAM was not the problem.

I'm starting to think that problem could lies in CPU, but in only one core, could be?
            Thinking, MemTest (that by default alternate core after every test: #1, #2, ...) had and still have "crash" always on even hard/heavy test (#6 or #8 );
            in odd hard/heavy test (e.g. #5) only if I ask MemTest to repeat test sequentially in two core (one after other): the first run doesn't show problems, the second run makes pc shutdown.

I saw a video where someone changed CPU on a notebook similar to mine, and honestly I don't want/I don't feel safe to disassemble completely my pc (cpu is really deeper displaced)...
            Is there a way to disable one core at all via software? (BIOS does not seem to give this opportunity)

NOT SURE: Often I run pc in "energy saving mode" that should use one core only, but I believe that sometimes pc uses both however and this brings to freezes.. Without "energy saving mode" pc freezes always and quite immediately...

Thanks for replyes
            Last edited by Aethereal; Aug-20-2016, 12:47 PM.

Comment

In thirty years I've seen only 1 bad CPU (excluding overclocking). But I've seen dozens of bad power supplies and motherboards.
              So while it is totally possible the CPU is bad, it could equally be something else. Sorry I can't give something more precise.

Laptops are the worst to fix. Parts are expensive, hard to find and hard to fit. In some cases they are unfixable (or not worth the effort).

Comment

I'll tend to exclude bad power supply because of battery, infact pc freezes with or without power supply and with or without battery...
                A problem of motherboard could be, but will be always difficult replace it (the same of cpu).
                I thought CPU core because of shutdowns on even tests and odd tests only on the second run (as best explained above).

Probably we will never know where problem lies this time...

Thanks for replies
                Bye

Comment

Working...
                X