Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Figure Out Whats Wrong?

Hi Guys

Totally have no idea what I am looking at here. Hopefully you helpful people can assist.

Attached is screen shot of my test.

I am guessing that I definitely have an issue but there is no way to know which of the 4 without taking them out and testing one by one (or 2 at a time)

Anything else you guys can help with? Not sure if u can see these well so I've done a screenprint of the image here http://prntscr.com/c5jn3o

Also, do I need to keep the test running till it finishes? If so how many runs does it need to do?

Thanks so much

Last edited by brianp; Aug-14-2016, 11:54 AM.

test one stick at a time to find out which one is faulty. it's best to test each one in the primary dimm slot, see motherboard manual

probably a good idea to use the latest version of memtest (7.1). you're using a pretty old version.

Comment

Originally posted by xenolith View Post
      test one stick at a time to find out which one is faulty. it's best to test each one in the primary dimm slot, see motherboard manual

probably a good idea to use the latest version of memtest (7.1). you're using a pretty old version.
      Thanks for that, I cant get the 7.1 to run it keeps running this one on boot. So I am guessing my system cant run the 7.1

Comment

Screen shot show a single bit error in multiple tests. So it is very likely the RAM is bad.
        You don't need to let all the tests finish. Just stop it after the first few errors. This will speed up the process of trial and error.

V7 requires UEFI BIOS. So the system might be too old for this.

Comment

Thank you, so I have taken out the 2 chips that I upgraded with and I am still getting errors. However, the lowest and highest error addresses have changed.

Is this to be expected?

Am I right in thinking that I probably only have one bad ram chip because of the single bit error?

thank you again... It's a pain because I can not find the RAM that came with the device, I think it must be somewhere else on the mother board or underneath.

Comment

Yes, the addresses can change, depending on if you are using dual or single channel mode, and the order the memory sticks are used.

It is a laptop, so you might be unlikely and find that the base memory is soldered to the motherboard (i.e. not easily fixable).

Comment

Yes, that was my worry. But also if its on the other side of the memory board I don't want to have to be taking the thing apart

Luckily I have extended warrantee so going to call them to see what they say.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X