Unable to see or enable UEFI in BIOS Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to see or enable UEFI in BIOS Windows 7

Hi, I've got major problems with the computer constantly crashing, which often happens when I'm on a web page and there's a video running with perhaps a couple of tabs i.e. well within the comp's spec. It was an OK gaming computer about 6 yrs ago and so it's clearly aging but I'm trying to keep it going for a little longer.

Occasionally the computer crashes or I get a BSOD. I think there's some memory dump issue. ECC is not enabled in the BIOS.

So, I've been directed here to run a memory test on the DDR3. A few months ago I purchased some 2nd hand DDR3 off ebay and am wondering if it might have been faulty.

Anyway, I'm trying to run the Mem test from the usb. I'm able to boot from the usb after setting the boot priority but all that happens is a dark scrn with 'XXXXX, press any key' whereafter it tries to boot up. It then crashes.

In the guide it says I can only run memtest in uefi mode but there's no option for uefi in my bios. I've looked in boot menu in bios and nothing.

So do i need an older version of memtest?

The problem is so serious now, whatever I do when I boot up, the system just crashes after a couple of mins of being turned on.

When I opened the case, the gpu was very hot.

Asus mobo, amd athlon cpu, crucial xms3 ddr3, win 7 64bit.

Cheers.
    Last edited by livinus; Sep-11-2016, 09:47 PM.

A log file (MemTest86.log) is automatically created and updated while MemTest86 v7 is running. This file is saved in the 'EFI/BOOT' directory in the USB drive's first partition.
    Can you send us this file.

Machine might be in such a bad state it can't boot MemTest86. The log might tell us more. If you have multiple sticks of RAM can you try just one at a time.

Comment

"A log file (MemTest86.log) is automatically created and updated while MemTest86 v7 is running." As I said, I can set the boot sequence so the computer boots from the USB but it doesn't appear to be working because it needs UEFI to be enabled.

I can't see any EFI/BOOT directory in the usb drive. Here's an image of the contents of the usb just in case I made an error extracting the files to it but I don't think I did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	usbcontents.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	35840
      Attached Files
      Last edited by livinus; Sep-12-2016, 10:33 AM.

Comment

The system is currently working but it's just a matter of time before it crashes again. I'm being careful not to put too much load on to the ram by avoiding multiple tabs with videos in them.

I'm using Opera browser but I don't think it's a browser issue. I've also got adblock installed.

Comment

I tried the older version of Memtest86 - 4.37 i.e. not UEFI but BIOS, but it's the same result.

The contents of the extraction to the usb are the same as above except the disc image file is smaller than on the 7 version.

Also, I'm not entirely clear what's supposed to happen when the system boots from the usb as per the instructions here on this site. The only executable programme on the usb stick is the imageUSB. Is that supposed to run on boot up to perform the memory tests? It's not clear.

Anyway, I'm running out of ideas here.

Comment

It seems that you may have extracted the contents of the MemTest86 packages directly to the USB drive. Actually, you need to use the imageUSB program that is included in the MemTest86 downloads to create the bootable USB drive. See this page here under 'Create a bootable USB Flash drive':
            http://memtest86.com/technical.htm#win

Comment

Hi, thanks for replying. I'm going to hold off running the memtest until the system is more stable. I've just run resourceperformancemonitor and it's highlighted a HDD error on which I need to to run chkdsk. TBC.

Comment

OK, I got some support from bleeping computer and I ended up running dskchk, which fixed some issues on the HDD. The GPU always seems to have been fried - perhaps because of the faulty HDD. I've tried reconnecting the GPU but it sounds like a helicopter when I try to run it.

Anyway, I ran memtest which seems to have completed successfully. It prompted me to exit but still seemed to be running tests? Also, how do I delete memtest off the USB so I can use the stick again. Cheers.

Here's the pic of the completion: https://s15.postimg.org/vfzab8jbf/20160914_120422.jpg (your forum's pic upload software is not working - I can't upload anything to the reply - even from an external site)

Comment

See here for how to reclaim the disk space from the USB flash drive:
                  http://memtest86.com/technical.htm#recover

Comment

Working...
                  X