Test 6 fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test 6 fail

I ran a memtest and got a few errors in the 6th test. Quick google only found a thread from few years ago where it was suggested that this might be a bios bug or false positive or related to sata.

results are in the picture. Should i be worried?

What version of MemTest86 was this with?
    And what CPU and motherboard?

Comment

test was run with: MemTest86 V7.0 Free (64-bit)

Motherboard: ASrock z170 extreme 4
      CPU: 6700k
      Memory: Hyper Fury (4 x 8GB) DDR4 2666MHz CL15 DIMM

The errors on the first picture i got was with two sticks plugged in.

The errors on the new picture (which have gone up significantly) are done with 4 sticks plugged in. From what ive read i understand that with multiple sticks the errors are bound to come in a little more but the magnitude of the second memtest seems quite big

As a side note i had reduced paging file down to 1gb when the tests were run. I desized paging file in winter but only recently started having all sorts BSOD and from research i found that the BSODs could be related to the paging file. Does the size of paging file affect the memtest in any ways?

Comment

There is a slightly newer version of MemTest86 available.
        But I don't think it will change your test result.

MemTest86 doesn't use the Windows paging file (or any part of Windows at all).

Looks like a real RAM error to me.

Comment

ive been testing all my ram kits one by one. All 4 of them have been flawless with 0 errors. I have tested 3 ram sockets on motherboard and 0 errors so far there too. 1 socket left to test.

Previously i noticed that from time to time my pc wouldnt boot up when 2 ram sticks were installed in 1st and 3rd slot.

So when sticks are single installed everything is good. When i have multiple of them installed memtest starts to show errors. Could this be due to motherboard deficiencis?

Comment

When using two sticks most motherboards switch into Dual Channel mode. See,
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-...y_architecture
            Which alters the timing and frequency of the RAM accesses. So it is plausible that some faults only occur in dual channel mode.

Comment

Working...
            X