• memtest86 on Mac Pro 3,1 with ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

MacPro3,1
    Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 3 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 8
    L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
    Memory: 32 GB

I got the USB memtest86 to boot, but my DELL U2713H monitor, won't light up, and my Sony Bravia, used as an alternate monitor display, shows the app setting things up, gathering data, but then goes blank (disconnects).

Any ideas what I can do to push this along?

My 32GB new RAM memory tests good with memtest 4.2.2 (2+3 = 5 passes, using 2 configurations of the RAM), but I wanted to continue with the memtest86 out of curiosity, and as alternate test.

A couple of notes:

I had to change the README file that appeared as a Terminal file along with the .img, to a .txt file by adding the .txt suffix. The I could open and read the instructions.

I have an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT. Is this the reason my screen disconnects? I read somewhere it might be the video card, since the EFI commands doesn't signal the monitor.

Suggestions welcomed.

Which version of MemTest86 is this with?
    As it might be a UEFI BIOS issue, are there any firmware updates available for it?

Comment

MemTest86 V7.1 Free Build: 1000 (64-bit).
      It being the video card?

Comment

I found one for the video card, but it was for an earlier OS X 10.5 Leopard. It says or later, but it won't install under 10.6.8.

Current ATI:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 2600

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9588

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B1480A-252

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.252

Comment

I also just read the drivers for the "ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT MAC OS X" are built into OS X.

Comment

I was referring to the UEFI BIOS firmware (the motherboard firmware).

Comment

This article shows I have the latest, as far as i know, for my machine:
              https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201518

MacPro3,1 Early 2008 Is your requirement listed somewhere?

Macs usually upgrade these things automatically via Software Update

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
              Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
              Processor Speed: 3 GHz
              Number Of Processors: 2
              Total Number Of Cores: 8
              L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
              Memory: 32 GB
              Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
              Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
              SMC Version (system): 1.25f4

Next sale of a painting, I'd like to buy the Pro version, if it's guaranteed to to work on my system.
              These being preEFI if I understand this correctly, may require an earlier version: I also have a Quicksilver running OS X 10.5 and a Digital Audio, OS X ?. They may require additional RAM checks.

Thanks for your support.
              Last edited by billycar; Oct-18-2016, 02:37 PM.

Comment

If MemTest86 was able to boot properly, you should be able to see a MemTest86.log file under EFI\BOOT\ folder of the USB drive.

Comment

Here's a copy of the MemTest86.log file under EFI\BOOT\ folder of the USB drive.

I started it twice I believe. In the Mac OS "Startup From" Window ... I chose the first EFI after holding down alt-option the first time. Chose the second EFI the second time. When the monitors didn't respond, I shut down the Mac Pro tower.

I will scrutinize the log again later tonight.
                  (Have a painting session at our local Academy of Fine Arts to attend first ... after giving my Greta a sunny October day walk)

Thanks for your attention.

Best I can do is a link to my Dropbox with the MemTest86.log there:
                  https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7x6dv7iem...est86.log?dl=0

Comment

From the log it looks like this is a old implementation of UEFI, in which a number of the key functions are missing. Even the "update" seems to be from 2008.
                    So unless Apple bring it up to date, it is unlikely that it can be made to work.

What we can do in the next patch release is detect the Mac model ID and UEFI version and display a better error message, rather than a blank screen.

The older V4 release should work on these older machines however.

Comment

Hmmm. So we couldn't have arrived here earlier? I'll see if v4 works. IIRC, I believe booting from USB Stick is out. Maybe a CD.

Is that a MemTest86 v4? or memtest v4.22 that I used already.
                      Last edited by billycar; Oct-19-2016, 11:35 AM.

Comment

So would couldn't have arrived here earlier?
                        Yes, would have been quicker if you had stated which software version you were using and provided logs in your original post.
                        We only have about 15 different test machines. And none of them are a Jan 2008 Mac Pro. So we haven't tested the software ourselves on most of the PCs (and Macs) that are on the market. We assume a certain level of compliance with specification by the vendors. Apple doesn't care much for compliance with industry standards however.

Version 4.3.7 was the latest V4 release from us.
                        After V4 we switched to supporting UEFI BIOSs.

Comment

I found the v4.3.7 download page here:

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Have a good day.
                          Last edited by billycar; Oct-19-2016, 03:39 AM. Reason: Delete

Comment

After reading differences between versions, in particular 4.3.7 to 5, I'm not sure if I should try 4.3.7 on my 2008 Mac Pro.

I have 32GB of new RAM to test
                            Using a USB Keyboard.
                            No disk logging

I'm sure they're great test programs, just not for this early of a Mac.

Thanks for your time and considerations

Comment

Tried downloading 4.3.7 but can't seem to get it to boot from USB

boot.txt

-------------------------
                              Memtest86 V4.3 Diagnostic
                              -------------------------

Available Versions:
                              -------------------
                              1) V4.3 (Default)
                              2) V4.3 (One Pass enabled)

Troubleshooting Options:
                              ------------------------
                              3) V4.3 (Boot Trace Enabled)
                              4) V4.3 (Start only one CPU)
                              5) V4.3 (Serial console enabled)

Image of USB drive attached. Things seem to be named linux.

Only my OS X drive shows up when booting holding down alt-option

Comment

Working...
                              X