Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memtest86 crashing/rebooting PC - software or hardware issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest86 crashing/rebooting PC - software or hardware issue?

I am trying to diagnose a pretty hefty hardware issue in a new computer build and memtest86 (v7.1) is pretty much consistently crashing/rebooting the computer. This is a screenshot I took of one of the times I managed to see the errors (http://imgur.com/a/DNwJD)

Either the hardware issue is a pretty major one, or the software is having some trouble with this configuration. Any ideas?

Thanks

If the machine doesn't run a clean install of Windows and MemTest86 is reporting 100s of error, then it is fairly sure you have a hardware problem.

Try testing 1 stick of RAM at a time.

Comment

I tried each 8GB stick (4 of them) in the A2 slot (recommend slot for a single stick) and ran memtest86 and each one failed at Test 3 running 1 CPU or all in parallel. So either each stick is bad (1 week old, all new RAM that was working), or the Motherboard is shot.

Comment

It is extremely unlikely that all 4 sticks fail in the same way (I am assuming the failure memory addresses and bits in error are the same for each stick?).

Despite the recommendation to use slot A2, try a different slot.

Comment

Yeah, they are all failing in all slots. I haven't closely looked at where they are failing as the memtest86 software is crashing mostly not even allowing me to see the error list (which I am sure now isn't the fault of the software). So I have to return something to the vendor, should that be the Motherboard you think? Or what are the chances this kind of thing could be caused by a faulty CPU? Everything in the system is 1 week old.

Comment

If all RAM sticks are bad in all slots then yes, it is likely the MB or CPU is bad.
            Is it possible you bent a CPU pin on the socket while installing it?
            Do you have another machine in which you can try the CPU in, or another machine from which you can borrow a CPU for testing?
            Is the BIOS up to date on the motherboard?

Comment

The kicker is everything was working fine for about a week and a half until I restarted one day. I assumed that would have ruled out any physical damage that might have occurred while pulling it together (I've built a few PCs and never had an issue installing the CPU, always careful). I have some more RAM coming in a day or so so that will rule that in/out definitely. My issue is I can't figure out how to tell if it's a CPU or MB issue - I don't have another CPU to install/check with.

Comment

My issue is I can't figure out how to tell if it's a CPU or MB issue
                Without spare parts and high end test equipment I don't think there is an easy way to be certain which part is at fault. However my experience is that motherboards go wrong more often than CPUs.

Maybe try underclocking the CPU & RAM to see if you can get it stable.

Comment

Working...
                X