Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I see report of MEMTEST86 results?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I see report of MEMTEST86 results?

After booting from the usb flash drive, MEMTEST began its test (took almost 24 hours to complete - I've installed 64gb of ram on my iMac i7 Late 2015) There were no errors found, but I had hoped to find some record and details of a full day of testing on my cpu. Can anyone tell me if the report/results are autosaved anywhere I might access them? Thanks.

There is a report function. But you have to save the report manually to a HTML file when prompted at the end of testing,

There is also a separate internal debug log (used for debugging purposes by developers, so the format isn't very friendly for users)

The debug log file (MemTest86.log) is automatically created and updated while MemTest86 is running. This file is saved in the 'EFI/BOOT' directory in the USB drive's first partition.

Comment

Hey David...Thanks,...Found it...Didn't understand it but found it.

I remember manually saving it when the test concluded, but wasn't sure where to search
      for the link back to your site with the results.

so, again thank you for the heads up to check the USB drive.

...Suppose the takeaway from using your software is the 64gb of RAM on my iMac produced no errors.

Best regards and continued success.
      Curt

Comment

Since broaching it in my initial post here, I wanted to follow up and hopefully someone might comment on the almost-24-hour elapsed run time MEMTEST86 took to complete its test on my iMac i7.
        It has a large amount of RAM installed -- 64GB. I've seen some info that users have been surprised at how long the test takes, but 24 hours? Just making sure th

Comment

...last post got cut a bit... Just wanted to make sure the slow test time didn't indicate anything else wrong with my Mac.

Comment

I don't think there is anything wrong.
            The first pass of MemTest86 is (relatively) fast, but it you leave it running to do 4 passes on a machine with a lot of RAM, it can take a while. Using mult-threaded mode can speed thing up, if your BIOS supports threading in UEFI.

Comment

Gonna resurect this thread as it was the first hit when I was searching online for memtest log location.

Would be nice if your settings section specified what the default location actually is.

I am hunting down a cause for Windows OS corruptions and left memtest to run for some 8 hours. When got back to the machine, the sceens were black, but PC was still running, Asus x570 Here Wifi motherboard showed 00 debug code which stands for "Not Used", reset and power buttons was not reacting. Had to turn off via button on the power supply. Restarted the machine and started a new memtest. This time opened the Settings section and specified that I want the log in the first partition of memtest USB drive.

Search online indicated that is actually the default location, so I went looking for the log of the test that ended with black screen. However, the parition contained only the log from the test that I had started after system reset. Are the previous logs automatically delteted?

As I am typing this I have another test run going for 4.5h, so far so good.

Comment

Name and location of the internal debug log file can be found on the MemTest86 debug log page.

Log was called "MemTest86.log", but from release 10, it is now time stamped as well. So they have names like this now MemTest86-20230424-170020.log

Files are not auto deleted, but can be overwritten in older releases (pre-timestamp).

Comment

Yes. Found it. Though not showing current log location is bad UX. It's not like there is not enough space. Without that info it makes harder for user to evaluate wether he wants to change it or even verify has it already been changed and to what.

Comment

not showing current log location is bad UX
                    It is an internal debug log. It isn't meant for end user use. Which is also the reason 99% of the log content will be unintelligible for normal users.

There is a much nicer HTML format test report produced for the end user. Not so easy to have a good UX if your monitor isn't working.

Comment

Montior is working at the beginning when it is possible to configure log location.
                      That's the only log I can use given that PC is always crashing when doing memtest. Created a post for that.

Comment

Working...
                      X