Puzzling memtest64 results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzling memtest64 results

I'm putting together a new computer using i3 6100, GA-B150N Phoenix-WIFI and Corsair ValueSelect 8GB [1x8GB 2133MHz DDR4 CL15-15-15-36 1.2V DIMM].
    I've been unable to install both windows and ubuntu.
    Windows install crashes when preparing the installation everytime at 1% progress. When trying to start a live USB of ubuntu i get critical kernel crash or something like that.

I have:
    Changed the RAM stick betwen pos1 and 2, also removed and replaced multiple times.

I've been running memtest64 v7.1 for the last few hours and it came up with some interesting results.
    All tests fail except test 0.

Lowest error address: 0x228000020(8832MB)
    Highest error address: 0x233BFFC0(9019MB)

Bits in error mask: 0allzeroesendingwith40
    Bits in error: total: 1, min: 0, max: 1, Avg: 1

Max contigous errors: 1

When i restrict the memtest to below the lowest error, i get no errors at all during the tests.

Why does memtest test memory that is out of bounds of my RAM stick (which is 8GB and not 9019MB)?
    Im unable to test with any other CPU, Motherboard or RAM stick atm, my only options are to take it back to the store.
    Is it possible that the problem lies with the motherboard, perhaps faulty memory allocator?

If i get no answers by tomorrow i will just attempt to replace the RAM at the store and hope for the best!

If anyone reads this and maybe answers, thanks for your time in advance!

Last edited by Villevissen; Dec-07-2016, 08:23 PM. Reason: additional info

As it is a 1 bit error, the most likely reason for the RAM errors are bad RAM. So get it replaced, buy a new stick, or borrow a stick for testing.

The memory addresses tested can be slightly higher than the amount of physical RAM because some addresses are taken up by other devices in the system (Google memory mapped IO for more details)

Comment

Working...
    X