Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multi-CPU 'State' out of Sync - Indicative of issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-CPU 'State' out of Sync - Indicative of issue?

Hello! First, some specs:

Intel Core i7-6700K
    Noctua NH-L9x65 (temporary until my NH-C14 comes in)
    GSkill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-32G (16GBx2 kit, PC4-25600 / 3200MHz)
    ASRock Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac

Can you tell me what the CPU State (\|/-) visually represents, aside from working/waiting modes (if anything)?

In parallel mode, when each test starts, all 8 cores (4 physical cores + HT) 'spin' at the same rate. Soon after, CPU0 falls out of sync with the rest of the cores (which all match). Is this indicative of a throttling or similar issue, or would you consider this fairly normal?

And while I'm here, how taxing is the average test? Is it the equivalent of sustained 50% CPU? 100%? Just asking since I'm currently at 64C, which, while still quite acceptable, isn't something I'd want to see if Memtest is only hitting the CPU at 25% or so.

While I haven't hit any outright errors, I have experienced several freezes, and video corruption in one case. Ended up re-seating the cooler and re-applying paste (one corner of the CPU was entirely bare when I pulled the cooler off), so I'm hoping that is the cause, and not related to the State.

Thanks for your time!

The (\|/-) spinning indicator doesn't represent any particular state. Only that the CPU is active. Nor is the rate of spin indicative of anything in particular.

The CPU load will depend on the settings selected in MemTest86, the CPU speed and the RAM speed. A slow CPU with fast RAM will show higher load.
    I don't have any exact figures however.

Comment

Working...
    X