Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MemTest86 V7.1/V7.2 will bump garbage when run the test

Hi,
    I run the memtest86 tool and will bump garbage as attahment during test. May I know if the garbage related with legacy support? My platform is Intel Skylake-U.

We haven't seen it before. Looks like the test pattern from MemTest86 has overwritten the video RAM. This might be due to a fault in UEFI memory map, making an area available, when it shouldn't be.

Comment

Hi David,
      Thank you! I tried to set BIOS as UEFI didn't bump this issue, but use Legacy support could bump this issue. Actually, Legacy support should still boot from USB UEFI boot first. If it has limitation for Legacy in memtest86 UEFI version? Thank you!

Comment

I don't actually know what you mean by "bump garbage" and "bump this issue". Maybe you mean "bump into this issue"?
        As stated above, this might be due to a fault in UEFI memory map. i.e. a bug in the BIOS.

Comment

Hi,
          We are planning to purchase formal version, but need our company process. Sorry! May I knwo if we test with MemTest86 Version 4.3.7, is it enough to confirm the memory quality? Because this version should be legacy version, and new version is UEFI(MemTest86 Version 7.2). We have garbage on UEFI version, legacy seems fine. Thank you!

Comment

You can find a list of differences between V4 and V7 of MemTest86 here.

In my opinion there is a fairly serious bug in your hardware / BIOS when using UEFI. By using the old release you would be just ignoring the problem rather than fixing it. But it is your choice. What is the point of using a test tool, then ignoring the result when it finds a failure?

Comment

Yes, we know this is serious issue. Because our BIOS have two setting. One is UEFI only, another is Legacy support. When set UEFI only, we won't have this issue. When set Legacy support, could duplicate this issue. Because I check the newest memtest86 tool mentioned is wrote by UEFI. We think if it has problem when set BIOS as Legacy support mode. I also find BIOS vendor for help. Because you mention need to buy formal version for your help. We are processing to buy, and company need spend much time to do process. Hope we could check some part at this time. Thank you very much!

Comment

Because I checked your website mentioned as following picture. Memtest86 v7 didn't support older BIOS. Our BIOS could switch legacy mode(older BIOS mode) and UEFI mode BIOS. My qustion is did that mean memtest86 v7 is not proposed use on legacy mode(older BIOS mode)? Sorry ask many question. Thank you very much!

Comment

Memtest86 v7 didn't support older BIOS
                  This is correct. For V7 you must have UEFI BIOS.
                  Otherwise you can only run V4 on the traditional BIOS.

If you have a BIOS that can emulate the older BIOS, then you can run either V4 or V7 and bother should work without error.

Comment

Working...
                  X