Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash reboot early on with Ryzen platform

Hello,

The current latest memtest86 v7.3 crashes (reboots) shortly after it reaches the initial printing of the line "checking memory controller..." after some of the other lines like "checking SPD" or "checking CPU/cache" etc.

Not sure if it's crashing in the middle of the "checking memory controller..." part or right at the start of whatever comes next.

I have an AMD Ryzen 1700 CPU with an ASUS Prime B350-Plus mainboard and 16GB (8x2) GSkill RipJaws V 2133mhz DDR4 RAM with no overclocking, everything on stock/auto.

Thank you!

I should mention that Win10 built in memory diagnostic passes but I do face crashes/reboots when stressing the system using things like Prime95 or CPU-z stresser, but with memtest86 it crashes during initialisation part before starting any tests.

Just wanted to check if anyone else is facing a similar problem or it's just me.

Comment

Can you send or upload a copy of the MemTest86.log file under EFI\BOOT\ of the USB drive. Thanks.

Comment

Thank you! Here's the log file. It includes multiple runs and the memory controller part seems to log "unknown" by my layman's eye.

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the logs. There seems to be a bug in the baseboard's UEFI BIOS firmware during multiprocessor initialization and as such, we have contacted ASUS to have a look at the issue.

In the meantime, we have added the board to the blacklist to skip the multiprocessor initialization from occurring. Can you give the following build a try:

http://www.passmark.com/ftp/memtest86-usb-7.3.1005.zip

Comment

Good to know this info, awesome, thank you. Especially for notifying ASUS which I hope will help them improve their UEFI BIOS in any way they can. The reason I started to try memtest86 is because running stress tests in Prime95 and CPU-z causes reboots but the Win10 built-in mem check seems to pass its basic checks. I currently suspect (hope actually) that it's just my RAM being incompatible until ASUS updates BIOS to resolve the issue and it's not a different (more major) problem with my system.

The RAM I have is the 16 GB (8x2) G.Skill RipJaws V F4-2133C15D-16GVR timings 15-15-15-35-2T dual channel kit. I will give this new memtest86 build you linked a try momentarily and report back shortly. Thanks again!

Comment

So this updated memtest86 is also rebooting at the same point apparently from the logs (attached here as well) if you can glean anything of interest in there.

I just wanted to say again that the reason for me trying memtest86 in the first place is suspected RAM incompatibility with the model I mentioned in the previous post so this reboot could just be the RAM issue and nothing wrong with your software really, but if you find anything else of interest that can help you get memtest86 updated for Ryzen platform, good luck! And thanks again for looking into this anyway.

Regards
              Attached Files

Comment

Also, I will be glad to continue to test new memtest86 builds if you feel that will help anything. Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by vishalrao View Post
                  So this updated memtest86 is also rebooting at the same point apparently from the logs (attached here as well) if you can glean anything of interest in there.

I just wanted to say again that the reason for me trying memtest86 in the first place is suspected RAM incompatibility with the model I mentioned in the previous post so this reboot could just be the RAM issue and nothing wrong with your software really, but if you find anything else of interest that can help you get memtest86 updated for Ryzen platform, good luck! And thanks again for looking into this anyway.

Regards
                  Thanks for the results. It doesn't appear that the UEFI BIOS will allow the usage of CPU cores other than the first one. As a result, we have disabled multiprocessor support for this board completely.

Can you give this build a try:
                  http://www.passmark.com/ftp/memtest86-usb-7.3.1006.zip

Comment

Great, this latest build appears to be working now.

The GUI showed up and my keyboard/mouse worked and I was able to go into the system info and settings menus etc. where it shows "Logical Processors = 1" and also a warning to the effect that "multiprocessor ability is disabled" as you've made it so. I started a default test run but aborted it early so that I could come and post an update here, but will now proceed to do the full 4-pass run.

Thank you for your efforts! I consider this thread / issue resolved for me but if you would like me to test further builds or have any questions for me, especially if you need further testing with any future board BIOS updates, please feel free to ask.

Regards.

Comment

I'm seeing a similar issue on another ASUS AM4 motherboard. I've tried the latest build (7.3.1006) with no success. I've attached the MemTest86.log for your reference.

Attached Files

Comment

Have you updated to the latest BIOS for your board? Also, it's possible the custom build 7.3.1006 was patched for the issue on the board model I have only and is still trying to use multiprocessor on your board?

Comment

Just for the record, we have a Ryzen system in house now. With the right motherboard a Ryzen CPU can run on all cores without a problem.

So the issues are motherboard related, not CPU.

Comment

Would you be able to share what parts are in your in-house Ryzen system? CPU, RAM, mainboard mainly?

Comment

Working...
                            X