Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tests 7 and 9 Repeatedly Error - Motherboard Issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tests 7 and 9 Repeatedly Error - Motherboard Issue?

Hello,

I've been using MemTest86 to diagnose why my computer stated "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart.", which I do believe is down to the HDD as I've since attached it to a different Windows XP PC (the HDD is Windows 7) and fixed enough bad sectors for it to get past this error message and now enter an infinite reboot cycle where it only reaches the Windows Loading Screen.

The problem is that I ran MemTest86 from a USB memory stick while the HDD was disabled, and it picked up errors with over 100 confidence value exclusively on Tests 7 and 9 for multiple RAM slot combinations and with one or the other RAM stick removed. This lead me to believe it could be micro cracks in the motherboard which I cannot see. Is this feasible, and how can I test to see if it's the motherboard / if this is a problem at all? I will be getting an SSD in the future to see if that fixes the overall booting procedure if I can't fix the HDD by reinstalling Windows.

System Specs:

BIOS: AMI v02.67C
    Motherboard: ASRock 970DE3/U3S3
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 XMP
    GPU: NVIDIA 9600GT
    PSU: Corsair CX750
    CPU: AMD FX6300

TEST #7 (Moving inversions, 32 bit pattern)

Error confidence value: 118
    Lowest Error Address: 00000be60cc - 11.8MB
    Highest Error Address: 0007ec52fd8 - 8925.7MB
    Bits in Error Mask: 00ffdf19
    Bits in Error - Total: 17 Min: 1 Max: 1 Avg: 1

Max contiguous errors: 1

Errors: 575

TEST #9 (Modulo 20, Random pattern)

Error confidence value: 127
    Errors: 16

If you could enlighten this very naive mind I'd be most grateful.

There is no sure way to know if it MB, CPU or RAM.
    The address range is large, and 17 bits in error is a lot. Which isn't typical of the most common RAM faults.

A lot of it is trial and error.
    e.g. try putting the RAM sticks in another PC and testing them. Or try a new set of RAM sticks in the suspect motherboard.

Comment

Working...
    X