No announcement yet.

Attempting to flash memtest86 to a USB drive, disables USB drives and crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempting to flash memtest86 to a USB drive, disables USB drives and crashes

Hi,

I just downloaded the USB flashing zip, unzipped it followed the instructions, all the options are ticked that need to be.. However when I click "write to UFD" it starts to write, hangs up, all my USB ports stop working/providing power/reading devices and as a result the write crashes as the device can no longer be found. I then have to hard shut down my laptop, take out the battery, hold down the powerbutton for 30 seconds before my USB ports work again.

How can I get past this as I need to run a RAM test and do not have access to a CD.

Thanks

Sounds like a hardware or device driver problem, not a problem with the imageUSB software that copies files to a USB drive.

If you suspect your RAM is bad, then maybe it is a RAM fault causing the crash? Can you make the USB drive on another machine?

Otherwise check your device driver is up to date for the USB host controller.
    Check the USB flash drive is making good electrical contact in the USB socket (not loose and disconnecting / reconnecting in the middle of the copy).

Comment

I am doing it on a laptop which is not the one I want to test, I will try update the drivers and have another stab at it.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
      X