Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezes while running MemText86

Hi,

I'm running memtest on a yoga 2 pro and it keeps coming up with stuff like the attached.

Memtest has frozen after apparently finding some bad memory and the red stuff in the background suggests that the video memory had been corrupted. I've run memtest a lot and it almost always fails like this but always gives different addresses for the memory that caused the fault.

Initially, I thought it was memory fault but there is no consistency.. Then I thought it was overheating so I regreased the heat sink and on a subsequent run it showed the same problem at 65C.

The screen goes wobbly with red text like this running anything, not just memtest. I have reinstalled the os (ubuntu) several times but still the same.

I'ts beginning to look like some other random motherboard fault but I would value anyone else's opinion.

Cletus.

There is a small possibility that it is a BIOS bug (with the memory map being wrong).

But more likely it is bad hardware. I'd suggest trying to swap out the RAM, but it might be soldered to the motherboards for these laptops?

Comment

Thanks for looking at this. Sadly the memory is soldered onto to motherboard. Also there is no separate video card. I'll have a think about the BIOS bug.

Comment

If the machine is under warranty, send it back for repair.

Comment

Working...
        X