Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Memtest86 on a Surface pro 4

Hi everybody,

as my Surface Pro 4 is producing random blue screens, I thought it would be a good idea to check its memory.
    I downloaded Memtest 7.4 Free from the homepage and burnt the ISO on a CD, but it seems I can't get it to work properly.

First, I get an error message related to secure boot unless I enable 3rd party CAs in the UEFI secure boot settings. Is this correct?

Second, even with this setting, the program simply won't show up. It seems that the system boots from CD, but the screen stays blank all the time.
    When I hit the touchpad, the backlight of the keyboard turns on, so it seems something is running all the time, but not producing any visible output...

Any ideas how I might get it to work?

I didn't think the Surface Pro 4 has a CD drive?

USB boot is the better option. It is faster, secure boot should work (our binary files are signed by Microsoft).

If it still doesn't work on USB, then send us the debug log file.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      I didn't think the Surface Pro 4 has a CD drive?

USB boot is the better option. It is faster, secure boot should work (our binary files are signed by Microsoft).

If it still doesn't work on USB, then send us the debug log file.
      No, it has not, but it has an USB port and I own an external drive
      Since BadUSB, I tend to mistrust USB sticks, that's why I prefer CDs.

Comment

I tried using a USB device, which indeed works better. Now I can see (and use) the menu. As soon as I start the tests, however, the screen turns black apart from a mouse cursor and the icon for the Surface's keyboard overlay. From what I've seen in the log file after a first, short try, the tests seem to be running anyway. I'll leave it running for a while now, perhaps the menu will reappear once the tests are completed (and hopefully, the results are all logged...)

Any estimate how long the tests might approximately run (default settings, 16 GB RAM)?

By the way: For SecureBoot to work, one still has to enable third party CAs
        Last edited by kullerhamPster; Oct-17-2017, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X