Over 200 errors by the end of Pass 1 with Memtest Free 7.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over 200 errors by the end of Pass 1 with Memtest Free 7.4

I've recently purchased 2 kits of 16GB HyperX Savage HX324C11SRK2/16.

My specs:
    Motherboard: ASROCK Z77 Extreme 4
    CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
    CPU cooler: CoolerMaster EVO 212
    GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Drives: A mix of 2 SSDs and several HDDs
    PSU: CoolerMaster SilentPro 650W
    RAM: HypeX Savage 32GB

At first I couldn't get any of the DIMMs to work in RAM Slot 3. Kept getting the "error 55" (no memory). I then stuck the tip of my finger behind the motherboard to prevent it from bending and reseated the DIMM, and then the system booted with all 32GB of RAM.

But then a series of "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" BSODs started occurring. I ran Memtest and something like 200-250 errors were logged by the end of Pass 1. I then stopped the test and came here to seek advice.

Here's the link to my test log https://pastebin.com/PtLa62N0
    Could you guys point me to what could be wrong? What should I do next?

NOTE: I previously had 8GB of RAM on this PC, 2 x 4 Kingston Beast @ 2400mhz. After purchasing 4 x 8GB Savage, none of the new DIMMs would work in RAM Slot 3, but they worked fine in all other RAM slots. So I temporarily went with 24GB RAM, my old 8GB Beast and 16GB Savage, just until I finished my After Effects project.
    Due to having nearly identical specs, the Beast + Savage combo ran flawlessly @ 2400mhz (XMP Profile 1). I've done a ton of demanding work in After Effects and had no issues whatsoever.
    Thing to note here is that the Beast DIMMs have a physically longer reach and could easily reach the pins in RAM slot 3, but the Savage DIMMs couldn't reach the pins without me preventing the motherboard from bending when connecting the DIMMs. I have a post on Tomshardware about this with pictures where you can see what I mean by "physically longer reach", here's the link: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...html#r20336479
    In short:
    1. With 2 x 4GB DIMMs in slots 1 & 3, or 2 & 4 I had no problems for years, eversince purchasing the PC. Ran all the tests at some point, no issues.
    2. With a mix of 2 x 4GB DIMMs in slots 1 & 3, and 2 x 8GB DIMMs in slots 2 & 4, I had no issues at all. Didn't run tests, but had some quite tasking work in After Effects while animating and did a lot of rendering, no issues whatsoever.
    3. With 4 x 8GB DIMMs I started getting BSODs.

So, after I finished my project, I got around to trying to make the new 32GB work together. I finally got the PC to post, after managing to seat the DIMM in RAM slot 3 well enough so it reaches the pins. Then the BSODs began, and I ended up asking for help here.

I apologize for the long post and wanna thank you in advance for any help,
    Vlajko

[MEM ERROR - Data] Test: 8, CPU: 2, Address: 110EAF8FC, Expected: 36BC9B8E, Actual: 36BC9B8A
    [MEM ERROR - Data] Test: 8, CPU: 0, Address: 14D58EAFC, Expected: 1B92BC3E, Actual: 1B92BC3A
    [MEM ERROR - Data] Test: 9, CPU: 4, Address: 4678C5F94, Expected: CD71F572, Actual: CD71F576
    [MEM ERROR - Data] Test: 9, CPU: 6, Address: 46A186194, Expected: CD71F572, Actual: CD71F576

We'll something is definitely wrong. Errors seem to be single bit errors on multiple cores at multiple addresses. Which normally means the RAM stick is bad.
    So you should go through a process of trial an error to confirm if it is the slot which is bad of the stick.

Comment

So far I've tested:

1. 8GB, each RAM stick individually in RAM slot 3. Zero problems.
      2. 24GB (16GB Savage + 8GB Beast). Zero problems. (I'm using this setup currently while working on a project).
      3. 32GB (Savage) after resetting BIOS. There were EVEN more problems than when Overclocked, some 450 problems.
      4. 16GB (tested just one pair) in slots 1 & 3. Zero problems.

This would indicated that RAM slot 3 isn't the problem, even though the Savage sticks (but not the Beast sticks) have a problem reaching the pins.

Should I:
      1. Test each stick in each slot individually?
      2. Should I test them in pairs, 16GB in slots 1 & 3, then 2 & 4. And then do the same for the second pair?

Any other suggestions?

Comment

Working...
      X