Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ran MemTest86 for the first time, 88 errors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran MemTest86 for the first time, 88 errors.

Hey guys, I got a new custom built PC recently and I've been having nothing but issues with crashes / blue screens, I obviously tried all the standard troubleshooting methods, clean updated drivers, fresh windows install, etc. Ended up deciding to run a MemTest over night, and it came back with 88 errors in Test 6. Usually I would just assume it's faulty RAM, but I ran across a thread on here from a couple of months back of guys saying that they had errors only on Test 6 and it ended up being a faulty CPU core. I don't know a whole lot about computers, so if somebody could shed some light on my test results, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Attached Files

It seems to be a single bit error in a small range of addresses.
    More likely it is bad RAM in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      It seems to be a single bit error in a small range of addresses.
      More likely it is bad RAM in my opinion.
      Cheers for the response David.

What should my next step be to confirm that it is indeed the RAM? Try a single stick at a time in separate MOBO slots?

Comment

See,
        https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

Comment

Decided to download the newest version of MemTest86 just to ensure that it wasn't a compatibility false positive. Alas, I don't think it was, just ran it for 10 minutes and got over 1000 errors across multiple tests on multiple CPU cores.

The odd thing is that I decided to reset my bios to default and run it again, just in case it was a dodgy overclock causing the issue. (Despite the fact that I was only running the ram at it's advertised speed and timings.) I've only run it for one pass on factory default settings so far, 0 errors. Plan to let it run overnight.. Not sure my next step if the test comes back clean on default.

Attached Files

Comment

Having the correct BIOS settings is important RAM stability.
            Often you can adjust timings, speeds and voltages from BIOS, it doesn't take much to make it unstable.
            Plus there are the auto-settings, while one would hope they are correct, they sometimes aren't. They might also change from one BIOS firmware release to another.

Comment

So the overnight MemTest on stock settings resulted in 0 errors across the board. I guess that means it's not faulty ram, more likely just a weak component (RAM / CPU / MOBO) that can't handle having the RAM at 3000 MHz 15 / 17 / 17 / 35.

Not sure what the next step is, possibly just incrementally overclocking the RAM speed until I find the point at which it starts producing errors in MemTest.

Comment

Depends on how much time you have.
                I am a big believer (due to lack of time) in the policy of not "fixing" it unless it is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
                  Depends on how much time you have.
                  I am a big believer (due to lack of time) in the policy of not "fixing" it unless it is broken.
                  Well it essentially is broken. I can't run my RAM at the advertised speeds without getting constant blue screens, the only way the RAM is stable is on stock settings, I'm not willing to accept that. So I guess my only option is to gradually increase the speeds until I hit the sweet spot of maximum power / no crashing.

Comment

Working...
                  X