Dell Precision T3600 and MemTest86 V7.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Precision T3600 and MemTest86 V7.5

My T3600 freezes after booting V7.5 in uefi mode and running MemTest, after a few minutes computer restarts by itself.

Are there any plans to add C600 series chipset/SMBus support to MemTest86 ?

Would a debug log help you ?

Thanks

If machine spontaneously reboots it might be a hardware fault.

Send a log if you like. Isn't sure it will tell us anything however.

Comment

Using Memtest86+ 5.01 I have no restarts or freezing, I'm using the T3600 to test a lot of different memory so I know the machine works as it should.

I'll upload log file.

Comment

Another possibility is a UEFI bug. Maybe new firmware is available?

Comment

I doubt so, I get the same freeze using v7.5 iso on a Dell E6420 laptop - I am also using latest bios june 2017 on my T3600.

I uploaded a video showing me uefi booting on cd where memtest is freezing and restarting computer.

Notice that right before the automatic restart there is some graphics corruption top of the screen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jklq882rfv...ilure.mp4?dl=0

Comment

The screen shot you attached is from MemTest86+ V5.01.

The Plus (+) software isn't our software. It is no longer maintained and doesn't support UEFI.

Comment

Hehe I know you don't make the + software, the dropbox link video you can see your memtest software freezing.
              The picture is to show that the computer works with other memtest software.

Comment

Back in 2018 I tried Memtest86 V7.5 and had a few different Dell models freezing/restarting using your software, yesterday I tried V8.4 and still have the freezing problem.

I turned off all but one cpu, disabled hyperthreading and turned off RMT (Dell Reliable Memory Technology) and V8.4 ran for 1 second before it froze on an T3600.
                Looks like I'm not the only one with these problems using your sw on Dell - Link

The machine I tried V7.5 and V8.4 on is stable without any problems, system information on V8.4 looks fine I guess but memtest does not work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200525_234648.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	47790

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200525_234328.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	47791

The log file has a couple of starts, the last one with RMT off.

MemTest86.log

Comment

Machine is pretty old, so it is possible it was an early buggy version of UEFI.
                  But we'll take a look at the log.

Comment

Given that it crashed in Test 0 and crashed while testing the 4GB memory range we think it is a BIOS bug.

Some old Dell machines have a 32bit addressing bug that prevents testing more than 4GB of RAM. In this case testing will freeze early on during Test 0 (the address test), while test in
                    the 0x100000000 (4GB) memory range. To partially work around this issue you can limit the maximum address to test to below 0x100000000. This might mean a lot of RAM doesn’t get tested however.

Or contact Dell and ask for updated BIOS.

Comment

Working...
                    X