Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Errors in Test 6 (block move). What does that mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Errors in Test 6 (block move). What does that mean?

My PC is not working fine so I ran Memtest, now several times. It has always showed errors only in test 6 (block move), but everytime a different amount of errors (first time 290, second time 700, third 395...). I did my research here and in tomshardware.com, but I couldn't arrive at a conclusion. So I wanted to know:

- Is it, without any doubt, a RAM failure?
    - I also have doubts with the PSU. Can it be that, PSU failing, RAM memory is not having the adecuated voltage (so it's not a RAM failure, just the RAM malfunctioning)
    - CPU involved? Hope not, but I don't know if this test involves CPU or not, because I have read that errors in some tests may indicate CPU failures.

If there's something more I have to specificate, let me know. Thank you!

(Here it is a more detailed post of my problem, if anyone wants to help http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...happening.html)
    RAM Corsair 2x8GB DDR4 2666mhz

Note: I can't do anything on Memtest, everytime I try to move the mouse or go to config at the beginning of the program, it just freezes. So I have to let the program analyze with the preset-config. My Motherboard is MSI Z370 Gaming Plus

Very likely the RAM is bad. Can't be 100% sure, but it is very likely.
    Try swapping it.

Much less likely it is the PSU. You could try upping the voltage levels very slightly in BIOS. But I would be replacing the RAM as an initial step. Can you borrow some to test with from another machine?

Comment

Well, swapped PSU just to discard psu faulty, everything stayed the same. RAM just went through 1 pass without error, (with the new psu) but then the errors started appearing as usual on test 6. Is it normal that although RAM is faulty, it went through 1 pass without errors? just curious.
      I don't have other ddr4 sticks to test them on my motherboard, nor other pc to test the faulty RAM. So I guess I will have to find someone who has a ddr4 motherboard to definitely be sure that is a memory issue, and then buy New RAM.

Comment

Yep, sounds like the best idea.
        You could try testing 1 stick at a time, but sometimes you only see errors when they are in dual channel mode.

1st pass is a quick pass. 2nd and subsequent passes are longer. So 1st and 2nd passes aren't identical.

Comment

Working...
        X