Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memtest86 Pro - errors on parallel, single CPU fine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest86 Pro - errors on parallel, single CPU fine?

Wondering if this is the "UEFI BIOS bug" I've read about. I've tested a lot of different ways, but I'll be succinct.

System:
    ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16
    2x E5-2680v2 Xeon, 10 cores each
    128GB DDR3 ECC

EDIT: see latest post - no mobo issues, it really was bad RAM

Tests so far, latest version of each:

Memtest86 7 (UEFI)
    - CPU mode parallel - I started my testing here. lots of errors. seem to get errors faster (in earlier tests) the more ram I have installed (initially thought I had some bad ram, so lots of swapping around.) never actually had the computer crash completely in this mode UNTIL i started re-running tests in order to make a log file to attach to this post. always had the opportunity to see a summary after the run stopped. so, my first total crash is in the log.
    - single CPU mode - have not seen an error here yet, but also have not come close to doing a full run.

Memtest86 4 (legacy)
    - CPU mode parallel - more or less crashes and reboots instantly.
    - single CPU mode - have run through an entire sequence successfully without error. never had a single error on any partial run

I've tested with and without hyperthreading on, but from googling, doesn't seem like that matters.

Anything in the log point to what the issue is? The log has 3 runs - a parallel run that errored out on test #3, a round robin run that i cancelled fairly shortly in without error, and a parallel test that I limited to test #7 because I knew I had been getting errors there in earlier testing, and it very quickly errored out AND rebooted for the first time in UEFI testing.

I cut some repeating errors out of the log so I could get the attachment down to size.

I think I can get a parallel run to throw errors on other steps; if that helps to truly narrow the issues i'll go through the tests one by one and post those logs.

Thanks!
    Last edited by dasx86; Jul-27-2018, 02:26 AM.

You are running ECC RAM, but got no warnings about ECC errors?
    Single bit errors should be corrected with a warning in the log.
    Multi-bit errors should be detected by ECC and be in the log.

The lack of ECC messages must mean that the memory was being written to during the tests corrupting the data used in the memory test, either by MemTest86 itself, in other test threads, or by some external process.

Likely this means there is a BIOS bug.
    https://www.passmark.com/forum/memte...election-modes

Comment

Working...
    X