Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do i need 8+ passes with a known good stick to make sure a dimm slot works properly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do i need 8+ passes with a known good stick to make sure a dimm slot works properly?

So, I'm looking to test the DIMM slots of my x99 motherboard, and I wondered how many passes it should take to confirm if there is an issue with the DIMM slot itself (contacts, traces etc)

I have already run the test with a single stick in DIMM1 with 22+ passes, so I will assume that stick of ram is good and continue using that same stick for the rest of the testing.

Both the processor and the ram stick is confirmed to be stable and functional using another motherboard, and I want to see if there are any issues with the DIMM slots on this one.

My question is as follows. Do I need to test 8+ passes per DIMM slot to be confident there are no issues with the DIMM slots, or is it enough with 1, 2 or X amount of passes?

Last edited by INDIVISUM; May-31-2018, 04:34 PM.

Generally a single pass is sufficient to catch all but the most obscure errors. However, if you suspect there is an issue or for complete confidence when intermittent errors are suspected testing for a longer period is advised.

Comment

Alright, then I will continue with testing for 8+ passes per slot as this motherboard is likely the reason for system hard lockups during certain game loads. This lockup is very difficult to reproduce for testing and troubleshooting purposes so I will assume this counts as the more obscure errors, although I still don't know for sure if this issue has anything to do with the ram slots on the motherboard. It won't hurt to test though.

Thank you for some useful advice in any case.

Comment

Working...
      X