Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest86 freezing with a specific CPU Core

Hello, guys.

I'm having a tricky issue here, so I'll need some help. Let me tell you the whole story: I have a Ryzen 3 1300X + Radeon RX 560 + Ballistix Sports 2400MHz running on an Asus A320M-K powered by a Corsair CX450. Everything was fine until some weeks ago (4 or 5, can't remember).

My PC started to reboot randomly. No BSOD, no event log in Windows. This event was intermittent, I mean, I can't say when it occurs. Sometimes I was gaming, sometimes I was writing. I turned off the automatic restart of windows, and the issue remained there... like a hard reset.

After reading a lot of forums, I saw it could be an issue with the bios and compatibility things. Updated the BIOS (it was version 0.805; now its 4.11). Apparently it stopped to reboot randomly (it has been 5 days since the update), but now I have another issue: freezing when using memtest. Also, it hangs with a specific CPU!

I ran memtest86 with single core (#0) configuration, and it ran fine. Then I tried to run parallel: freeze! Tried to run sequential: freeze! Wondering what was happening, I paid more attention and saw that in sequential run it was freezing with CPU #3. OK! I put the test to run single core with cpu 3, and got two freezes in a row!!! The first freeze happened within the first minute, the second happened in 40 minutes.

I ran the same test with an HyperX DDR4 2400MHz 8GB, and it passed smooth. Nothing happened. 8 passes, 0 errors, 0 hard freezing.

Tried the single core again with CPU #0 with my Ballistix, and got 4 passes. If I put CPU#3, it freezes (without errors or warnings).

The PSU is brand new and it can handle the system, sine my CPU uses 65W and my GPU drains 75W. The CPU temperature is stable in 50°C...

So, any ideas? Is it a compatibility issue? Is it a bad RAM? If yes, why only freezing with cpu #3? Or it might be my cpu? Do I need to raise RAM voltage slightly?

Any help would be more than welcome.

Then I tried to run parallel: freeze! Tried to run sequential: freeze!
    See,
    List of Motherboards with issues when running MemTest86 in multi-CPU selection modes
    ASUS have known UEFI BIOS bugs,. but they have been releasing new BIOS for some of the motherboard models to fix it.

Comment

Hi! Thanks for your response.

I've read those informations about bugs on UEFI BIOS from Asus. I have updated to the latest version, but it seems that did not solved, yet.

But, considering the single-core testing scenarios, I have some updates:

- Testing with CPU#0 (single-core): 100% completed and flawless.
      - Testing with CPU#1 (single-core): Freeze with 9 minutes.

So, is it also related to the UEFI BIOS Bugs, even with Single-Core?
      Also, why with my HyperX it does not freeze? Is it bug related too (something with timings, maybe?)?

Thank you again.

Comment

Working...
      X