Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

memtest86 inconsistent results. Fails in one slot within minutes, passes in another

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memtest86 inconsistent results. Fails in one slot within minutes, passes in another

I have some DDR2 ram that has been giving me problems for months. All the sticks are 2GB, of the same brand, and in pairs - 2x2GB model #1 and 2x2GB model #2 for a total of 8GB. I know the motherboard slots are not the problem, because for 1.5 years I was running different memory; Crucial 2x2GB + Micron 2x512MB with no issue.

The 3 last days I have ran some tests, one stick at a time, in the same slot (DIMM 4). One pair of memory checks out as OK. I ran one stick for 10 hours and 11 passes, the other 9 hours 9 passes. The other pair however... One stick failed within minutes. After 2 hours and 3 passes I had 122 errors. I previously tested this in October 2017 and it too failed early on. Now this other stick from the pair gives inconsistent results. I ran it in DIMM 4 for 2 hours and 2 passes and it gave errors within 20 minutes. When I tested it back in October 2017, it passed, in the same DIMM slot, after 3 hours and 5 passes. As I type this, I am testing it in DIMM 3. It's been going nearly 2 hours, coming up on the 3rd pass with no errors. What gives?

All this ram, while 10+ years old, has a lifetime warranty. Should I just RMA it all and see if I get a better kit?

Quality, brand name, new DDR2 2GB sticks are only $9. Second hand sticks are near worthless. Does it make sense to spend days of time investigating the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      Quality, brand name, new DDR2 2GB sticks are only $9. Second hand sticks are near worthless. Does it make sense to spend days of time investigating the issue?
      Hi David. The ram is from OWC, a well known company that sells Mac hardware and upgrades. I googled the part number and it seems to be Samsung ram manufactured in 2005. I use Samsung LPDDR3 in my main system and I have never had any problems.

To answer your question, does it make sense... Well yes. I want to populate all DIMM slots of this Core 2 Quad system I own. 4GB, or 5GB in my case, is not enough for games today or even multi-tasking.

I am running that one stick in question again, now in DIMM slot 2. It's been going for 3 hours and 4 passes with no errors. Why would it previously pass in DIMM 4, then fail yesterday in DIMM 4, pass in DIMM 3, now it's passing in DIMM 2.

Comment

I mean, with the value of your stick being maybe $4, does it make sense to spend days working out if it is bad or good. Surely it is a better use of your time (and mine) to just pay $9 for a new stick (or $4 for another 2nd hand stick if you can't afford the $9) and see if it fixes it.

Comment

I mean, with the value of your stick being maybe $4, does it make sense to spend days working out if it is bad or good. Surely it is a better use of your time (and mine) to just pay $9 for a new stick (or $4 for another 2nd hand stick if you can't afford the $9) and see if it fixes it.
          I don't know where you are located, but in Canada off amazon.ca, 2x2GB is $36. That is from a non reputable brand, but it has the highest user reviews. A more known brand like Patriot is even more.

I can RMA all of this ram, but do you know why my results are inconclusive?

Comment

1 x 2GB Kingston, $9.69
            https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAD8U7AX8744
            or 2 x 2GB on the same page for $16

Or Ebay, $1 for 2GB
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hynix-2...IAAOSwznNbATGg

So how much time is it worth to test a $1 part?

Inconsistent results in different slots can be due to electrical differences (e.g. additional voltage drop, or poor electrical contact on the pins). Could be environmental differences (e.g. temperature, EMI or power fluctuation). It is also common to see differences in dual channel mode vs single channel mode. Just re-seating the RAM can often clean the pins and change the behaviour.

Comment

1 x 2GB Kingston, $9.69
              https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAD8U7AX8744
              or 2 x 2GB on the same page for $16

Or Ebay, $1 for 2GB
              https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hynix-2...IAAOSwznNbATGg

So how much time is it worth to test a $1 part?

Inconsistent results in different slots can be due to electrical differences (e.g. additional voltage drop, or poor electrical contact on the pins). Could be environmental differences (e.g. temperature, EMI or power fluctuation). It is also common to see differences in dual channel mode vs single channel mode. Just re-seating the RAM can often clean the pins and change the behaviour.
              That ram is from newegg.com, the prices are in US dollars. If it could even ship to Canada, there would be import taxes + currency exchange. I can RMA all this ram for for $18 postage.

You say how much time is it worth to test a part. Isn't the whole idea of memtest86 to spend that time to rule out any possible problem? I know it's not the motherboard. I have ran all this ram together before and the system would freeze after 15-35 minutes. I also ran this 2 sticks of this ram with my working Crucial kit, still froze.

Comment

Working...
              X