Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• automate memtest (bios) version

Hi,

Is there a memtest version that is bootable through BIOS AND reads config from a cfg file ?
    I need to fully automate memtests on BIOS systems...

Regards,

Johan Verdoodt (Belgium)

All versions of MemTest86 boot from BIOS.

But maybe you mean old style non UEFI BIOS? Which means V4 of MemTest. Which means there is no disk access available.

Disk access from BIOS only became available in UEFI.

Comment

We have a some recent laptops we boot from first harddisk instead of UEFI. So the linux system on it boots from MBR. (so no EFI partition ...)
      --> Does that mean that only V4 of memtest can be used ?
      And no automation is possible ?

Comment

We have a some recent laptops we boot from first harddisk instead of UEFI
        I think you are confused. BIOS (old style or new UEFI style) always boots first, then once BIOS is running, it starts to boot the operating system from disk if one is available.

The use of V4 or V7 does not depend on what is on your hard disk. it doesn't matter if you use Linux or not, nor does it matter how you boot Linux.

What matters is the type of BIOS in the machine.

Comment

David,

Thank you for the quick replies !

Apologies, I was not so clear.
          So our UEFI machines in CSM (compatibility support module, e.g. legacy mode) will boot not boot V7 but V4.
          And in V4 no configfile is read...

Right ?

Comment

Yes, but every BIOS is different. They use different terms and have different options. Some call it legacy / CMS, others give it different names. It is also tied up with secure boot and picking the first boot device in BIOS. Best thing is to just experiment a bit with your BIOS.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation.
              Perhaps it is time we change to UEFI boot...

Comment

Working...
              X