known bad memory is passing the memtest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• known bad memory is passing the memtest

I am using crucial 4X 8GB DDR3L CT102464bd160b in my machines and I have a known bad one that will blue screen my PC 's in any slot where ever I put it after half an hour . I've run memtest86 pro 4 or 5 times now ( 4 or 5 X the default 4) and it doesn't find any issues. ... yet I can boot the machine normally and it'll blue screen ... I really want to be able to find an issue with a known bad stick .
    Am I just not running it for long enough??
    Cheers
    Chris

There are various possibilities.

1) The error doesn't occur unless other system components are under load. For the example the video card might be producing EMI.
    2) Maybe it is temperature related and the additional load on the CPU and video card raises the system temperature more than in MemTest86
    3) Maybe you aren't running MemTest86 in multi-threaded mode?
    4) Maybe the blue screen isn't due to a RAM error.
    5) Maybe it is a RAM error and it is really being missed. We have a V8 beta coming out today. So that might be worth trying.

Comment

Hi David
      Thanks for your reply .

1) The error doesn't occur unless other system components are under load. For the example the video card might be producing EMI.
      I've stripped it down to a bare mother board now to try and lessen this probability ...the only thing still connected id the SSD ( i'm using the onboad graphics)

2) Maybe it is temperature related and the additional load on the CPU and video card raises the system temperature more than in MemTest86
      I'll give it squirt with a heat gun and try it .

3) Maybe you aren't running MemTest86 in multi-threaded mode?
      My mother board is a dfi hd310-q87 which I don't think is on the blacklist so I presume it's running multi-threaded??

4) Maybe the blue screen isn't due to a RAM error.
      The suspect RAM stick seems to blue screen any machine I put it in ,which ever slot I put it in ....I'm fairly sure its a bad RAM stick

5) Maybe it is a RAM error and it is really being missed. We have a V8 beta coming out today. So that might be worth trying.
      I've got it on and running right now.

Again , thanks for your help .
      I'll update this thread with any findings I get .

Chris

Comment

If you are a paid user, contact us and we'll send you a Pro edition of V8. There was a change in Test 12 to pick up some previously undetectable errors.

This tool is also good for looking at past BSOD
        https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
        The details in the BSOD can help determine if it is a RAM failure.

Comment

Hi David
          I've contacted you guys via the contact page about getting the V8.0 pro.
          Thanks
          Chris

Comment

Hi David
            I've not had any reply from you guys about a V8.0 pro version ?
            Could you see if it's possible ?
            Thanks
            Chris

Comment

We're unable to locate the email sent in. Can you send email again?

Comment

Working...
              X