Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memtest results interpretation, bad ram or other components as well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest results interpretation, bad ram or other components as well?

Hello everyone, I’ve just built my first Pc, I’ve been saving money for about half a year and working at 2 jobs to finally buy it and build it.
    Everything was great at the start but then my games started crashing, then even the windows began freezing and crashing and in general the pc was acting weird from time to time, sometimes I wasn’t even able to get to windows cause it was freezing everything right after bios screen
    I did try to do some primitive overlocking for gpu and ram but when crashes began to occur I put everything back to the default settings.
    I ran the memtest and got super bad results from what I understood.
    test 1 (address test, own address, 1 cpu) - I got More than 10k errors and it shut it down automatically (it said too many errors) and that’s for all the other tests as well, I didn’t pass a single test
    test 2 - 24k+ errors
    3 - 58k+
    4 - 61k+
    5 - 61k+
    6 - 172k+
    7 - 62k+
    8 - 65k+
    9 - 12k+
    10 - 13k+
    i didn’t have tests 11-12 in my version of memtest
    test 13 (hammer) - I tried to run it 4 times, every time after 14 second the pc freezes completely so I can’t even fail it properly

i have no idea what any of those results mean, please tell me that it’s just my ram that makes it all so bad (I will have to spend another 100$, not 600 for all the other components if they are actually bad as well)

parts:
    i5 8600k
    prime Asus z390
    ram vengeance lpx pro rgb 2x8 3000 (I put it back to default which is 2133gz, default latency and timings)
    gtx1070 evga ftw
    psu evga g1+ 750w

I beg you, help me
    i m so desperate And discouraged
    i just reinstalled windows a few hours ago - didn’t help
    And I feel like those crashes and blue screens (memore_management error all the time, which is something related to ram as I understood) are getting much worse, 3 days ago when I just built the pc I would get I crash in 6 hours, now it happens every 2 hours or so
    and also before I only got those crashes or blue screens when I was playing games (all the temperatures were super cool all the time) but now as I ve already said I can’t even download an update for the game without a crash

Let me know if I can provide you with any other information, I’ll tell you everything you need to know,
    thank you.

1 RAM error is bad. Millions of errors is worse than bad. Surprising the software ran at all.

If everything is near new it should all be under warranty. Some RAM manufacturers offer lifetime warranty or 5+ years.

Try re-seating the RAM first. Then test 1 stick at a time.
    Also check the system firmware is up to date (but only if you can get the system half stable, you don't want a failure half way through a BIOS update)

This page might also help
    https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

Also - MemTest86 V10 (Pro Edition) supports decoding and identification of the DDR5/DIMM module on which a particular error occurred. More information here:https://www.memtest86.com/tech_DIMM_Decoding.html

Last edited by Rachel (PassMark); Apr-03-2023, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      1 RAM error is bad. Millions of errors is worse than bad. Surprising the software ran at all.

If everything is near new it should all be under warranty. Some RAM manufacturers offer lifetime warranty or 5+ years.

Try re-seating the RAM first. Then test 1 stick at a time.
      Also check the system firmware is up to date (but only if you can get the system half stable, you don't want a failure half way through a BIOS update)

This page might also help
      https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

Thank you for your answer, can I please clarify something?
      What is the chance that ram is the only ‘bad’ part in my build causing all these problems?
      Was it something wrong that I did (tried to over lock it) that broke it or I just got unlucky enough to buy my first ram that was defective from the beginning? What are the chances that by replacing the problematic ram with new sticks all the problems will go away? I know it’s hard to give any forecasts without seeing even a full specifications of the build and error codes, but anyway..

Also I already ordered another Ram so hopefully everything will work out.
      Thank you for your answer once again!

Comment

Don't know the chances with the information provided. There are a number of different possible causes. Could be just bad firmware setting the wrong RAM timings, or a bad memory map in BIOS. Or bad electrical connection on the RAM slot.

Would have helped if full details for (some of) the errors were supplied and you did at least basic diagnostics. Like testing different slots and one stick at a time.

Comment

Don't know the chances with the information provided. There are a number of different possible causes. Could be just bad firmware setting the wrong RAM timings, or a bad memory map in BIOS. Or bad electrical connection on the RAM slot.

Would have helped if full details for (some of) the errors were supplied and you did at least basic diagnostics. Like testing different slots and one stick at a time.
          So I did switched the sticks between slots (1st to the 2nd, 2nd to the first), results were same bad.
          However, I tested one stick at a time and apparently one is super bad (the one that has a total of a million mistakes), but the second one had a total of 300 mistakes after all the tests

Comment

So I did switched the sticks between slots (1st to the 2nd, 2nd to the first), results were same bad.
            Result is inconclusive. If you want to check if a slot is bad, then always using the same two slots won't tell you the answer.

Bit strange to have both sticks being bad.

If you were playing around with the timings and clock speed in BIOS, are you sure you now have them set back to some sensible values? (e.g. auto)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E8ACCD44-5BC2-437A-BAB0-4BD331721B8A.jpeg
Views:	8908
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	43245

Result is inconclusive. If you want to check if a slot is bad, then always using the same two slots won't tell you the answer.

Bit strange to have both sticks being bad.

If you were playing around with the timings and clock speed in BIOS, are you sure you now have them set back to some sensible values? (e.g. auto)
              Yes, I literally put all the bios settings back to default and I double checked the frequencies, timings and everything else.
              Do I wanna use some specific ultra conservative timings?
              I’ve read somewhere that increasing the dram voltage can sometimes help.
              The auto voltage my system sets and uses atm is 1.200, when I turn on xpm- it goes up to 1.3500, should I try putting it to 1,395-1,425v?
              Attached Files

Comment

Here are my current timings

Comment

I still think testing one slot at a time is a good idea.

Comment

I still think testing one slot at a time is a good idea.
                    I just got my new memory sticks (no rgb this time, screw that) and guess what..

0 mistakes (so far, still running the last test)! Apparently the problem WAS in those bad ram sticks and all the other parts were good all along, I’m so happy and relieved.. I swear to God I will never even try to overclock my ram again, I’m 99% sure that me playing with those timings caused that mess the last time.

Anyway, I’ll try to send the bad sticks back, hopefully there is some kind of a refund program.

Thank you so much for helping me sir David, I appreciate that!

Comment

Working...
                    X