RAM fails at restarts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM fails at restarts

Hi all, thanks for the software, the forum and the support. I'd like to describe my situation hoping to get it settled soon.

Blue Screens of Death have slowly occurred to the point they happen 4 to 5 times a day. I could be wrong, but I guess it's either RAM or HD failure. I have been testing both with inconsistent results.

HD: A 500Gb Seagate Barracuda disk. Approximately 4-4.5 years old. Tested with HDTune, CrystalDisk, Windows and Linux smartctl command. All is healthy, no bad sectors on boot partition either. The funny part is: the BSOD are all related to memory: mostly 7a (KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR), with a parameter of 0xc000000e (STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE). I used Windbg/Debbuging Tools for Windows to read the minidump and it says: "There was error with disk hardware". I reinstalled Windows and now the error has changed to 1a (MEMORY_MANAGEMENT), with a parameter saying a page table page has been corrupted, something to do with counting below zero (ffff). I have read these can be caused by hardware or drivers. All tests show the HD is healthy and has no bad sectors on the boot/Windows partition.

RAM: A 4Gb, 1333Mhz Markvision stick, same age as the HD (same purchase date, not sure when they were made). Tested with Windows and Memtest86+ (motherboard (An Asus B85M-E/BR) has UEFI but Secure Boot is disabled). Test results vary depending on the following pattern: If I restart the computer (either through the OS or through the restart button) and immedietaly use Memtest, all addresses fail with the same error bit (0000-0400). It happens on any slot on the motherboard. If I instead turn my computer off then on again (different from restart) and run Memtest, the RAM stick passes. I have tested it for short times repeatedly and tested it overnight with not a single error (or so I've been told, when I woke up the Windows installation CD was booted on Recovery Mode and I had to ask relatives if there were any error on the screen and they said there was none and they also said they didn't touch the computer either. Upon trying to boot from the HD after that, Windows says it can't because of error in the boot file, or something). I believe my relatives but it's odd to see Memtest restarting the computer.

That is the overall situation. I'm currently using the computer with no errors through a Linux USB stick with Manjaro. I hope it's all clear, if it's not please ask and I'll gladly explain any confusing bits (no pun intended).

MemTest86+ isn't our software. It was an old fork, that hasn't been updated in a long time.

Try the original MemTest86 V8.

Comment

Working...
    X