Clear All

• Intermittant Test 6 Errors

System:

Home built
    ASUS P8Z69 Deluxe MB
    Intel Core i7-2600K processor
    16 GB Corsair Vengence Blue DDR3 SDRAM
    PNY NVIDIA Quadro 600 Video Card
    Several hard disks, including a 60 GB SSD used as a Cache.

Machine ran like a champ since December 2011 (although I did have to RMA the memory first after finding a bad stick in the initial batch). About three weeks ago, started experiencing intermittant BSOD. Almost always different codes/error messages. Many concerning memory issues. So, finally running memtest86 (4.2, downloaded yesterday). Getting single bit errors on one test (test 6) but NOT on all passes! Ran it overnight, and of 13 passes, looks like errors occurred in 3 of them at about the same place in RAM. I've seen discussion about test 6 on this board and whether it is reliable. The "Error Confidence Value" is quite high from what I've read, but why then am I getting errors only 25% of the passes? Any thoughts? I intend to take it apart this weekend and test sticks individually, but if anyone has any ideas beforehand, I'd like to hear them.

At the bottom of this post editing screen, under "Post Editing Permissions" it states that I may not post attachments, so I can't post the screen shot of the memtest screen that I have. If anyone has a way to fix this, I'd be happy to post the screen shot.

Error Confidence Value: 236
    Lowest Error Address: 001e9994908 - 7833.5MB
    Highest Error Address: 001ef5d4908 - 7925.8MB
    Bits in Error Mask: 040000000
    Bits in Error -Total: 1 Min: 1 Max: 1 Avg: 1
    Max Continguous Errors: 1

Test Errors
    6 3

All others are 0 Errors.

The problem we are aware of for Test #6 seems to only appear,
    - In low memory (under the 1MB in the address space)
    - Only when multi-threading is on
    - Over a 8 bytes of address space
    - With a large number of differences in the bit mask.

At the moment we don't know if it is a real hardware issue or a software problem.

So your issue don't seem to match up with the known issue however. Plus you are getting BSOD in Windows. So more likely it is real hardware fault.

Can you try testing 1 stick of RAM at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      <snip>

Can you try testing 1 stick of RAM at a time.
      I just finished doing that, and three of the four tested clean after 7 passes, with one throwing errors almost immediately. I just rebooted the system using 2 of the good sticks, so we'll see if the machine is stable now.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X