memtest freezing at 76% for all tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memtest freezing at 76% for all tests

Testing my laptop ddr3 ram with Memtest 8.1 running from uefi usb.
    Freezes at 76%, so I ran the tests individually. 0-9 all freeze at 76%.
    So I switched out the 2x2GB adata brand for 1x4GB nanya. Still freezes at 76%.
    Tried to put it in the other slot - same result.
    That's kinda weird...can the problem lie elsewhere?
    I even tried the usb stick on another pc after, the tests went through with 0 errors.

Some machines have UEFI bugs with multithreading. See,
    https://www.passmark.com/forum/memte...election-modes

Can you try testing with just a single CPU core (1 thread)

What make & model is the machine?
    Can you post or EMail us the log file.

Comment

It was all done in Single CPU mode.
      Asus X72j/K72jr
      log file in attachment
      Thanks!
      Attached Files

Comment

Nothing really stands out in the log.
        Are you running the latest BIOS firmware?
        Is the machine stable when running Windows?

Comment

I'm not sure, so I got the latest BIOS version (212) from Asus website and flashed it.
          Nothing changed.
          The machine sometimes works fine for hours (Windows 10), then it randomly freezes and the next few restarts all freeze before, or as soon as, they to desktop.
          Reinserting the (laptop) battery seems to make it start up and run OK for a while again, which led me to thinking there may be a ram problem and trying memtest.

I attached screenshots of what the screen says when it's frozen for test 0 and test 1, all other ones look similar.

Comment

It appears to be a UEFI firmware bug when accessing memory addresses greater than 32-bits (ie. 0x100000000). As a workaround, I would set the upper address limit to 0x10000000.

Looking at the log file further, the UEFI firmware appears to be fairly dated as it is missing the implementation of several key subsystems (eg. multiprocessor). As such, I would not expect ASUS to release a new BIOS update that would fix the issue.

Comment

If ASUS can't or won't fix their BIOS, then consider going back and use V4, which was the last release that supported non UEFI BIOS.

Comment

Thanks!
                I tried V4 version and it went through perfectly, with 0 errors!

I do wonder if this UEFI bug could cause the random freezes in windows...
                Edit: I just realized, when I only have 4GB installed, why does it even try to access memory up to 5GB (0x138000000)
                Last edited by fire; Jan-25-2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Likely there is memory mapped I/O that adds to the address space.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory-mapped_I/O

Comment

Working...
                  X