memtest for serial console at 115200 autoboot without menu bootable image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memtest for serial console at 115200 autoboot without menu bootable image

I'm having this problem for years now and finally decide to post a question about this. I work often with network appliances (x86) that only have a serial console output. It's pretty normal for these devices to run at 115200 8,n,1 at ttys0/3f8 (1st serial port). I know it's possible to run memtest on a serial console, but one needs to manually choose menu option five and it runs at only 9600 baud which is impossible to use. See, switching console port speed whilst booting is almost impossible.

What im doing now is blindly guessing when to press five, because the bios redirection runs at 115200, and then hoping memtest takes over at 9600 , at that time i have my console software running at 9600. I only got this to work once and is very annoying.

So i'm looking for a bootable image that runs memtest86 automatically on the first serial port, at 115200 baud, without interruption of a menu. I searched the forum and i know this can be done with compiling it yourself, but i lack the knowledge to do. Maybe somebody can help?

So if im right this would be memtest v4 for x86-32bit . No need for uefi images.

For Memtest86 V4 (old style BIOS) you can edit the file syslinux.cfg under the syslinux\ folder:

Code:
    LABEL 5
        kernel memtest
        append console=ttyS0,9600
    Change 9600 to 115200

Comment

Originally posted by keith View Post
      For Memtest86 V4 (old style BIOS) you can edit the file syslinux.cfg under the syslinux\ folder:

Code:
      LABEL 5
      kernel memtest
      append console=ttyS0,9600
      Change 9600 to 115200
      This is great, i went a step further, changed the "default" to 5, timeout to 6. It boots fast and directly to serial console at 115200. Now i have a way of testing headless devices. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X