Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the release need such a large flash drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does the release need such a large flash drive?

I have quite a few old 248 MB (according to Windows) flash drives lying around, and they were always my go-to drive for MemTest86. Up through the version 8 betas, Memtest86 fit just fine. But beginning with the 8.0 final release, the drive writing utility rejects those drives as too small, even though the actual code still only fills 6.47 MB. What's going on?

Yes, we could make the minimum drive size smaller.

Older versions of MemTest86 could not write log files or test reports to the boot drive. (or write to any drive at all). What we found were that some users where testing a lot of machines and collecting the logs and test reports on the USB drive. A few people ran out of space on the USB drive. MemTest86 has a complex multi-partition boot drive setup to support as many machines as possible. So it isn't trivial to extend a partition to fill the available drive space. (this also means your measurement of 6.5MB is under estimating the requirement)

The best solution seemed to be to make the default partition size larger. So it is now 1GB. (actually 550MB is enough however)

1GB drives are so small that they aren't sold anymore.

Smallest size available is currently around 4GB at NewEgg, for just $3 !!
    Or 16GB for $4.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      The best solution seemed to be to make the default partition size larger. So it is now 1GB. (actually 550MB is enough however)

Smallest size available is currently around 4GB at NewEgg, for just $3 !!
      Or 16GB for $4.
      <sigh>

I can't call that unreasonable...

Spending my own money on equipment to use to do my job with is technically illegal, and getting my employer to spend money
      on equipment to use to do my job with is effectively futile. Oh well...

At least I can start up multiple machines with one flash drive by just moving it from machine to machine. That's what I started doing.

Comment

Actually you only need about 5MB.
        Format the USB drive as FAT, then copy over the EFI folder from an existing one (or extract it from the download file). Done.

Comment

Originally posted by xerces8 View Post
          Format the USB drive as FAT, then copy over the EFI folder from an existing one (or extract it from the download file). Done.
          Thanks! That worked! Given the age of the hardware I usually need to test this is a perfectly usable workaround.

Comment

Working...
          X