Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC reboots if I boot into MemTest86

Hello,

I wrote MemTest 86 8.1 onto a USB disk but whenever I boot into that USB disk, my PC just restart.

I am having doubts that it's because the USB is being written in GPT mode and my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 rev 1.1) doesn't support GPT.
    How can I write MemTest 86 8.1 onto the USB as MBR?

Or maybe the issue might be something else entirely?

Can you send us the log file.
    MemTest86.log is automatically created and updated while MemTest86 is running. This file is saved in the 'EFI/BOOT' directory in the USB drive's first partition.
    Are you running the latest BIOS version for the motherboard?

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      Can you send us the log file.
      MemTest86.log is automatically created and updated while MemTest86 is running. This file is saved in the 'EFI/BOOT' directory in the USB drive's first partition.
      Are you running the latest BIOS version for the motherboard?

Thank you for the quick response.

Unfortunately, there's no log file. I am guessing it reboots before getting into MemTest86.
      Like as soon as I boot from USB HDD, I see "Loading operating system...." message and the next thing is that it reboots.

Yes, I am on the latest BIOS which is version 'F9'
      https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...upport-dl-bios
      Version 'F10' is available but it's in beta.

Comment

GPT was a mandatory requirement in UEFI.
        So if you really have UEFI, then GPT must be supported.

If you don't have UEFI BIOS, then V8 of MemTest86 won't run anyway, as it is UEFI only.
        In that case you'll need to go back to V4, which was for traditional BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
          GPT was a mandatory requirement in UEFI.
          So if you really have UEFI, then GPT must be supported.

If you don't have UEFI BIOS, then V8 of MemTest86 won't run anyway, as it is UEFI only.
          In that case you'll need to go back to V4, which was for traditional BIOS.

I see.
          Is v4 the last MBR supported version of MemTest86?
          Or are there any versions in between v4 and v8 that would support a motherboard without GPT?

Comment

Is v4 the last MBR supported version of MemTest86?
            Yes.

Or are there any versions in between v4 and v8 that would support a motherboard without GPT?
            I don't think GPT is the issue UEFI is the issue. Meaning I don't think there is any UEFI motherboard that doesn't support GPT.

Comment

Working...
            X