Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need real consulting here as I don't understand what is broken in my system!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
    For the minimum risk of problems consult the qualified vendors list (QV list) for the motherboard.

List is here for your motherboard,
    https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m...ING_190218.pdf

They have the F4-3600C15D-16GTZ on the list, but not F4-3600C15-16GTZ. Not sure if these are the same model RAM or not?

Otherwise I don't think we have anything new to add, I'd just be repeating what I already said in previous posts.
    Ok...I've tried to mix up the two kits so to see if maybe a stick could work with one from the other kit. Tried ALL the possible combinations....and nothing works. Only a combination gives me only 1 error in a full test (in attach).

Don't know if it is a false positive...but I need a rock solid system, so I guess to not consider that as a success either.

I've ordered another kit completely different, but still of these OC ones: the G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3000C15D-32GVR that are a 32Gb kit of PC3000 15-15-15-35. I've chose them as they have same CL but lower Frequency, so to see if it might be realive or not. I don't expect any success.

I'll try to get a super stock JEDEC kit of ram as next if they will not work, so to see if its my motherboard.

I'm working for this to retrive a motherboard just same as mine so to make some tests on it, as I'll like to really go deep on this!!

Could it be also the CPU??

Please let me know what you think about my report attached.
    Thanks!
    Attached Files

Comment

In old machines the memory controller was part of the motherboard. On new machines it is part of the CPU. So you can't entirely rule out the CPU as being at fault. But typically a bad CPU would cause more errors that you are seeing. And CPU faults are more rare than RAM faults. And you had just 1 bit in error, which also points to a RAM error.

Given that turning off XMP makes it stable I'm still of the opinion that the setup is marginal (from an electrical and timing point of virw). Maybe it works with some sticks and motherboard (of the same make make and model) but not others.

Comment

In old machines the memory controller was part of the motherboard. On new machines it is part of the CPU. So you can't entirely rule out the CPU as being at fault. But typically a bad CPU would cause more errors that you are seeing. And CPU faults are more rare than RAM faults. And you had just 1 bit in error, which also points to a RAM error.

Given that turning off XMP makes it stable I'm still of the opinion that the setup is marginal (from an electrical and timing point of virw). Maybe it works with some sticks and motherboard (of the same make make and model) but not others.
        So it could be a random thing!! Pretty lucky I am...

I mentioned the CPU because I bought it from a guy as used, and he used to overclock it. I'm keeping it at stock frequencies now, never OC, and bought his as it is a K version and was at good price. The reason of the purchase is only related at using overclocked ram and activate XMP profiles.

I'll have the new ram coming in the next days. I hope to have some luck with them.

In case not, I really don't know if it would be the case to quit the testing and go for stock rams...or keep an OC ram and maybe lower the Timings...or go for testing another motherboard.

Ps: Could it be also a PSU issue? Can strange or inefficient power to the motherboard cause some domino-effect such to cause what I'm facing now?

Regards.

Comment

Hello there!

The new kit of ram have arrived: G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3000C15D-32GVR that are a 32Gb kit of PC3000 15-15-15-35 as mentioned before.

Installed them and made only one test with MemTest86: NO ERRORS!! Full 4 passes with no problem.

So both kits of G.Skill / Trident Z F4-3600C15D-16GTZ 15-15-15-35 that I have tested before (one from 2018 and the second from 2019) were faulty??.....or my motherboard is at its limit and do not digest such ram??

The nice thing is that now I'm with a PC3000 CL 15-15-15-35 kit of 32Gb or ram....and I'm pretty ok with them. On gaming there is no noticeable difference, and in computer use overall I have 16Gb of more ram.

At least I don't have a faulty motherboard.....or maybe yes??

Thank you.

Comment

Great to hear it is solved by using different model RAM.

I don't think there is enough evidence to assign blame with any certainty for the non working RAM. More testing on more platforms, or some very high end protocol bus analysers would be required to really know the true cause.

Comment

Great to hear it is solved by using different model RAM.

I don't think there is enough evidence to assign blame with any certainty for the non working RAM. More testing on more platforms, or some very high end protocol bus analysers would be required to really know the true cause.
              Well I have to say that you are right. Not only consumer tests should be done, but also deep electronic tests should be involved.

As I have to concentrate on my consumer side, I have done all the tests that were in my actual possibilities. I could have reiterate in asking amazon for another kit of the PC3600 rams, but I need my computer stable as I use it for working daily.

P.S.: Do you advise to make a MemTest86 test once in a while so to check if everything is ok?? If so...once in how much time??

Hope all my tests and writing all here would help some others in the future if similar situations would have occur.

Thank you very much for your help. Always the best.

Comment

Working...
              X