Memtest86 Version 5 Beta (Pure UEFI)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest86 Version 5 Beta (Pure UEFI)

We are pleased to announce the beta release of version 5 of Memtest86.

Downloads:
    Update: As of 4/Dec/2013, the beta testing period has finished and V5 has been released. Downloads are now available on the normal MemTest86 download page.

Installation Instructions:

http://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm (same as v4)

Features

• Completely re-written to work under UEFI.
    • Native 64-bit support
    • No longer requires the use of the PAE workaround to access more than 4GB of memory. (PAE = Physical Address Extension)
    • Mouse support, where supported by the underlying UEFI system. On older systems a keyboard is still required.
    • Improved USB keyboard support. The keyboard now works on systems that fail to emulate IO Port 64/60 correctly. So Mac USB keyboards are now supported.
    • Improved multi-threading support, where supported by the underlying UEFI system.
    • Dual boot with Memtest version 4 for supporting older systems without UEFI. So with a single USB or CD drive both UEFI systems and BIOS systems can be supported.
    • Reporting of detailed RAM SPD information. Timings, clock speeds, vendor names and much more.
    • Support to writing to the USB drive that Memtest is running from for logging and report generation. In all prior MemTest releases there was no disk support.
    • Use of GPT. (GUID Partition Table)
    • ECC RAM support (still under development at this point)
      • Detection of ECC support in both the RAM and memory controller
      • Polling for ECC errors
      • Injection of ECC errors for test purposes. (limited hardware only)

• DDR4 support (Cancelled due to lack of test hardware, we'll revisit this in 2014 when DDR4 is available for testing)
    • Option to disable CPU caching for all tests
    • Having a configuration file to allow settings to be pre-defined without the need for keyboard input. This can help with automation.
    • Support for secure boot. (still under development, not available in beta as yet)
    • Speed improvements of between 10% and 30%+. Especially for tests, #7, #8 & #9. This is the result more moving to native 64bit code, removing the PAE paging hack, switching compilers and using faster random number generation algorithms.
    • Addition of 2 new memory tests to take advantage of 64bit data and SIMD instructions.

About UEFI

UEFI stand for ‘Unified Extensible Firmware Interface’ and is the replacement for BIOS, which newer motherboards run on. UEFI was developed to overcome the limitations of BIOS, such as executing in 16-bit processor mode and only having 1 MB addressable space, which aren’t acceptable for modern PCs.
    See Wikipedia for more information:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified...ware_Interface

Dual Boot

We are releasing Memtest86 v5 with support to boot to v4 if UEFI is not available, or if you would like to run the older version on newer systems.
    On UEFI systems the media that Memtest is installed to will likely show up twice in the boot options.

This is an example of one particular boot menu on a UEFI system. This computer has fixed hard drives, a CD-ROM drive and a USB drive with memtest86 plugged in.
    P5, P3 and P4 are the fixed hard drives and the CD-ROM drive. The USB drive in this case is a ‘KingstonDT 101 G2’ for which there are two entries in this list. The first entry will boot from the USB drive in emulated BIOS mode, which will launch version 4 of Memtest. The second option will boot with UEFI launching Memtest 5.

Limitations

Version 5 no longer is able to remap itself to different portions of memory in order to run tests in the section of memory it was occupying. UEFI itself also takes up some space compared to a traditional BIOS. So slightly less RAM can be tested in V5 compared to V4. It should be noted however even larger areas of memory are lost to devices doing memory mapped IO, most notably integrated video cards. So no version of MemTest86 can test 100% of the RAM. 95% - 99% coverage is more typical.

We have seen at least one machine (a HP Workstation XW8200) fail to boot at all, with the message 'Non-System disk or disk error'. This is an old machine that can only run BIOS version so in this case it would be advisable to download and run the 4.3 standalone version which is known to work.

Secure Boot

One of the new features of UEFI is ‘Secure Boot’ which does not allow loading of drivers or operating systems that do not have a valid digital signature. Memtest86 does not have such a signature so if this feature is enabled then Memtest will fail to boot. Most systems have this disabled by default, however if it is enabled you will need to go into the UEFI settings and disable it in order to boot. More details on secure boot and MemTest86 can be found here.

How to Report Problems

Either make a post here in the forum, or send us an email at the address listed on our contact page. When reporting an error please provide as much details as possible. If you are using v5 on a USB drive, there should be a log file that has been generated in the 'EFI/BOOT' directory called MemTest86.log. Sending us this will be of great help. Additionally a photograph of the problem would also be useful if possible/applicable.

Version 5 Screenshots

Configuration screen

Main test screen

Optional report written to disk

Detailed RAM SPD data

Good Day,

I understand V5 only works with UEFI. Is it possible to have the information displayed in the Main Test Screen as shown in this thread with V4.3.1. The technology that I work with is not old and I need information that is visible to read. I was using Memtest86 4.20 Std as it provided all the information I required but it does not work with the new stuff I'm working with. I don't know if it doesn't work with the type of memory I'm using (DDR4 2133) or the amount of cores in the processor (more than 4 by a lot).

If you can get the display info to work with a BIOS boot that would be great.

Thank You for your time!

Comment

If you are using a machine with DDR4, then it must be very new. So new it isn't even on sale as yet. I find it hard to believe that any machine due to be released late 2013 or 2014 won't be running UEFI.

While we will be doing bug fixes, we have no plans to go back and do major new development work on the V4.x version on BIOS.

You can also get a similar level of detailed information in our RAMMon Windows software.

Comment

Hi David,

I was afraid of that. I'll see if I can get V5 to work with our EFI shell. If not I guess I will just have to ignore some information. As for RAMMon Windows, I am not using Windows on this platform. Thank you for the information in case I do use it in the future.

Thank You for your time!

Have a Wonderful Day!

James

Comment

Beta 2 has been released.

Updates include,
          • Preliminary detection code for ECC support (Error-correcting code memory)
          • Changes in the update screen frequency to reduce CPU load and minor flashing
          • Removal of a couple of obscure and not very useful fields from the display (iteration count & CPU mask)
          • Fixing up of a few typos and some missing text
          • There is now an option to view the memory usage (memory map) from the configuration window.
          • Bug fix for the calculation of main memory bandwidth benchmark. Result show now align with V4 numbers better.
          • Change in the way the progress bar is displayed when multiple test passes are selected.
          • Changed default CPU mode to round robin.
          • Changed default number of passes to 4. This is a somewhat arbitrary number, but 4 passes seemed to provide a better test on most systems than a single pass.

The download links in the initial post have been updated.

Comment

Here is an example of what (a portion) of the memory map looks like in a UEFI machine. Considering that no operating system it loaded at this point it is a lot more complex and fragmented than one might expect.

Comment

Hi David,
              The program does work in the EFI shell. It helps if I read the instructions a little bit better. I do have one small problem, it can't detect the memory I'm using. The test is running but where it says RAM Info, the line is blank. Could this be do to the type of memory that I am using - DDR4 2133?

Comment

Originally posted by JamnOne View Post
                Hi David,
                The program does work in the EFI shell. It helps if I read the instructions a little bit better. I do have one small problem, it can't detect the memory I'm using. The test is running but where it says RAM Info, the line is blank. Could this be do to the type of memory that I am using - DDR4 2133?
                It may be that you are using a newer motherboard chipset that we do not yet have support for. There is a log file (MemTest86.log) that is generated in the same directory as the executable file that contains the chipset information. If possible, can you send this file to our e-mail. Thanks.

Comment

Thank you for the great work.

I'm new to the UEFI world and I was doing some experiments. Is it possible to correctly chainload this UEFI memtest86 from a pre-existing grub2 boot menu?

I tried with this:
                  Code:
                  menuentry 'Memory test' {
                      chainloader /blabla/memtest86/bootx64.efi
                  }
                  It does boot correctly, but i lose the graphics (see attachment). I think this happens for path related problems. Isn't possible to embed all the images into the executable? Or to specify the working directory?

Thanks!
                  Attached Files

Comment

We have released Beta 3 which includes the following fixes:

• Due to limitations in multiprocessing support depending on UEFI firmware, the default CPU mode has been changed to single CPU.
                    • Memory latency is now measured and reported in the Sys Info screen
                    • Preliminary implementation of an improved algorithm for measuring CPU clock speed, which allows for more accurate reporting of overclocked CPUs and turbo clock speed
                    • Fixed program freeze when reading the temperature of Intel Topcliff chipsets
                    • When MemTest86 exits, a warm reboot is executed to prevent the system from entering an unknown state
                    • Fixed ECC feature reporting
                    • Fixed RAM summary line exceeding the screen width

The download links have been updated accordingly

Comment

Beta 5 has been released which includes the following changes (Beta 4 was skipped because it was a private release):

• Fixed CPU clock speed measurement for AMD processors
                      • Preliminary implementation of ECC error polling during memory test execution
                      • Added 'Enable ECC Polling' option to Main Menu (only for supported memory controllers)
                      • Fixed potential false positives caused by running memory tests on unaligned memory segments
                      • Fixed test numbering to match v4.3
                      • Fixed test status screen for systems with # of CPUs > 10
                      • Fixed incorrect reporting of lowest/highest error address and error bits in the test summary/report
                      • Added support for specifying a configuration file (mt86.cfg) for loading memory test parameters without needing to change it manually through the UI

Parameter Description
                      TSTLIST List of tests to execute in the test sequence. Each test is specified by a test number, separated by a comma.
                      NUMPASS Number of iterations of the test sequence to execute. This must be a number greater than 0.
                      ADDRLIMLO The lower limit of the address range to test. To specify a hex address, the address must begin with '0x'. Otherwise, the address shall be interpreted as a decimal address.
                      ADDRLIMHI The upper limit of the address range to test. To specify a hex address, the address must begin with '0x'. Otherwise, the address shall be interpreted as a decimal address.
                      CPUSEL One of the following CPU selection modes:
                      { 'SINGLE', 'PARALLEL', 'RROBIN', 'SEQ' }
                      CPUNUM The CPU # of the specific CPU to test. This parameter only has an effect if CPUSEL is set to 'SINGLE'.
                      ECCPOLL Specifies whether ECC errors shall be polled.
                      0 – Polling disabled, 1 – Polling enabled

Here is a sample configuration file (mt86.cfg):

#
                      #MemTest86 configuration file
                      #

TSTLIST=0,1,3,5,8
                      NUMPASS=3
                      ADDRLIMLO=0x10000000
                      ADDRLIMHI=0x20000000
                      CPUSEL=PARALLEL
                      CPUNUM=1
                      ECCPOLL=0

The download links have been updated accordingly.

The mt86.cfg config file need to be placed into the EFI\BOOT folder on the USB drive.
                      Last edited by keith; Oct-01-2013, 10:22 PM. Reason: added config file details

Comment

Very cool. Awesome work here!!!

Comment

MemTest86 V5 Beta 7 has been released (Beta 6 was again a private release). Here is the list of changes:

• Added menu option to enable/disable memory caching
                          • Added menu option to enable/disable ECC injection
                          • Memory errors are now displayed in log format (as opposed to table format)
                          • Fixed memory errors disappearing when screen is refreshed
                          • Fixed memory errors not being reset when test is restarted
                          • Both uncorrected and corrected ECC errors are now reported
                          • Better handling of test abort when running in parallel mode
                          • Fixed crash when UEFI firmware returns an invalid BSP ID
                          • Fixed ECC detection and injection for AMD 10h and newer chipsets
                          • Added preliminary ECC detection support for Ivy Bridge-EP/Haswell/Haswell-E chipsets
                          • Added CPU support for Silvermont and Ivy Bridge-EP
                          • Added memory SPD support for various chipsets

The download links have been updated with the new release.

Comment

USB Image can be find form boot menu on UEFI enablesd system but CD Image cannot.
                            CD/DVD that burned with Memtest86-5.0.0.iso won't appear at boot menu While i press F7 on my laptop.
                            Same as Windows 8 32bit installation DVD that don't support UEFI.
                            I burned in Memtest86-5.0.0.iso on DVD/CD on my win7 64bit no-UEFI system.
                            How to burn in Memtest86-5.0.0.iso to support UEFI BIOS laptop.
                            please help.thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jesselin68 View Post
                              USB Image can be find form boot menu on UEFI enablesd system but CD Image cannot.
                              CD/DVD that burned with Memtest86-5.0.0.iso won't appear at boot menu While i press F7 on my laptop.
                              Same as Windows 8 32bit installation DVD that don't support UEFI.
                              I burned in Memtest86-5.0.0.iso on DVD/CD on my win7 64bit no-UEFI system.
                              How to burn in Memtest86-5.0.0.iso to support UEFI BIOS laptop.
                              please help.thanks
                              Booting MemTest86 from CD/DVD in UEFI is a little tricky because it doesn't boot the same way as BIOS. Some UEFI systems can boot the current ISO image without any problems but some do not recognize it as a bootable image because it does not contain a FAT12 El-Torito boot image. Can you try the following image and let us know if it boots properly:

http://www.memtest86.com/downloads/b...torito-iso.zip

Comment

Working...
                              X